220 V single phase motor connected to 220 v two phase

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
pkalis

220 V single phase motor connected to 220 v two phase

Post by pkalis »

Is it possible to connect a 220 V single phase motor to 220 v two phase?
We have a generator with 220 V with a 4 pin socket Neutral ground and 2 phases.
If anyone has any ideas of how it could be done then I am looking forward to an answer.
Thanks
Clyde Crashkop

Re: 220 V single phase motor connected to 220 v two phase

Post by Clyde Crashkop »

That sounds like a single phase gen. to me. Use a meter to find 2 outputs that have 220V across them and use them. They are line 1 and line 2.
pkalis

Post by pkalis »

Dave, thanks for the input. As I mentioned I cannot get 220v between neutral and phase I only get that between two phases, will this affect the motor?
b1miller

Post by b1miller »

Most smaller generators will only produce single phase power anyway. As such, a 220 single phase motor will run just fine connected between the 2 hot output leads from your generator. If you measure across either hot lead to neutral, you will get 120v. Across the 2 hot leads, you will get 220v. The other issue is the momentary high current drawn by the motor when starting. Depending on the size of the motor and generator, the generator could be overloaded by the starting current.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Your generator is providing exactly the same type of power that your electric power company provides, through a 240-volt, center-tapped transformer where you obtain 120v between neutral and either hot side or 240v across the two hot leads. Power is generally referred to as single-phase and three-phase, even though the 120/240v volt system is technically a two-phase system with reference to the neutral connection. But you're still using a single phase when connected across the "outer legs" of the transformer.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.