Mimicking tube behavior with solid state devices

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
bruinbear714

Mimicking tube behavior with solid state devices

Post by bruinbear714 »

Just wondering if there are any links out there that deals with solid state circuits to simulate a vacuum tube.
bodgy

Re: Mimicking tube behavior with solid state devices

Post by bodgy »

Many power amplifier and communication receiver front ends circuits will feature dual gate MOSFETS which operate very similar to Valves. Though a little jiggery pokery has to be done (read extra transistors) to emulate double Pentodes and similar combinations. <p>If you want RF circuits, then the RSGB book from the UK is still heavily into solid state 'valve type' circuits. If you are in the US then your ARRL book also has some. You could also look at AF amps that are hybrid circuits that use common cathode driven triodes with MOSFETS .<p>Colin<p>[ June 27, 2003: Message edited by: bodgy ]<p>[ June 27, 2003: Message edited by: bodgy ]</p>
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
Chris Foley

Post by Chris Foley »

Can you be more specific about what you want to do?
greg123

Post by greg123 »

Check out some of Peavey Electronics guitar amp schmatics. They bulid a "Trans-Tube" series of tube-emulated amplifiers. <p>Peavey will provide these schmatics to you.<p>greg
bruinbear714

Post by bruinbear714 »

Specifically, I would like to build an audio amplifier using only solid state devices that works as close as a tube amp as possible... The reason I don't want to just build a tube amp is because I am going to design one for car use and would prefer not to step 12.5V up to 150V or more.<p>Greg, I'll look into those Peavey amps to see how they work.<p>Thanks.
bruinbear714

Post by bruinbear714 »

Any more info available?