120 VAC 400 cycle

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
KN9TTN

120 VAC 400 cycle

Post by KN9TTN »

looking for a way to change 120 vac 60 cycle
to get 120 vac at 400 cycle need about 3 amps
any ideas?
Joseph

Re: 120 VAC 400 cycle

Post by Joseph »

If frequency accuracy is not important there are two ways I would consider. One would be to run a class D amp at 400 Hz with 320 volt peak-peak output. The output is neither isolated or a sine wave, but by limiting the duty cycle, it may work well enough.<p>The other way should overcome the limitations above. It would involve using two SMPSs--one to produce the positive half of a 400hz sine wave and the other the negative half. If you are more of a perfectionist, you could chose this way. See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/switchmode/ for more information.
bridgen

Post by bridgen »

As Joseph said, in the interests of efficiency the best choice would be class D. <p>If efficiency isn't a serious consideration a more "conventional" way, and probably electronically less neurotic, is simply a class B amplifier with suitable output transformer and oscillator/driver. That does, however means you will have to dissipate nearly 400W of heat at full load!<p>California Instruments used to sell such power sources. We have a 3-phase one at the place I work and I had to put together a 3-phase exciter for it.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Check with "Fair Radio Sales" out of Lima Ohio. They sell surplus invertors to make 400 Hz at 120 and 240 volts for the milatary and aviation equipment they also sell. I use one for my Gyros.
KN9TTN

Post by KN9TTN »

thanks people guess i will just change out
the HV power supply, have a piece of surplus
here and was wanting to get by easy, its has a 380 to 1000 cycle transformer in it.