TV service manual RCA?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
forrestgump

TV service manual RCA?

Post by forrestgump »

Hello Just looking to find a service manual for a Sears / RCA TV set. I tried Sears but they don't have one. She did give me the RCA model number however it is the same as the Chassis number? I will try contacting RCA maybe the best way however I was hoping to find an online version if they exist? Though someone may have a golden resource for them out there? Here is the info I have. I know its an older model but nice.<p>Sears / RCA
Year 1998
Model 15108
Chassis # C543 60350
Serial Number 847489111<p>The TV keeps shutting it self off I assume as part of a protection circuit. You could wait a while then it would come back on until now it will not come on at all. I inspected the board and found a resistor burned loose. I repaired that. Is was on the Horsional Deflection section. The fuse was blown also. No sign of bad picture or sound when it was working. Actially nice picture not pulled in or anything.<p>Thanks
Mark
[email protected]
Timothy Rasch

Re: TV service manual RCA?

Post by Timothy Rasch »

The chasis numbers don't make sense for RCA.They are located on label mounted on heatsink. They usually start with ctc177aa and the date is important for Sams Photofact.Most RCA data can be found in SAMs Photofact Index. Most libraries will search and interloan the service manual for you if you don't have a Sams Index book.Most Rca problems occur in the onboard tuner shield wrap on the bottom of board.[unsolder shield on tuner bottom and resolder carefully the shield perimeter inside tuner and and resolder shield],resolder vertical ic too. this should solve most problems like yours. [email protected]
Timothy Rasch

Post by Timothy Rasch »

Please write me if you have any further questions regarding tv. Also if you don't repair the tuner wrap first the EEPROM data gets currupted and a dead set results forever. Then you must get the correct eeprom from RCA which is rough programmed and must be tweaked using the front panel buttons in a special sequence [about 200 adjustments that must be performed]. The settings are different for every set even of the same chasis number. I have some service schematics in my ES&Technology
magazine for ctc177,etc but they are brief and have hardly any waveforms. [email protected]
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

he said it was and older set, older than CTC series,, i have seen the olderones as such different pre-fixes,, i will search for you, and give a reply back soon
forrestgump

Post by forrestgump »

Thank you for all the replys! It is a 1998 model. It has Sears on it with thoes numbers stamped on the back. However I do think it actially made by RCA. I could be wrong? I apprechiate the help though It's my pairents set and they don;t really have the $$$ for a new one right now so I set them up with a very old 14" to until I can come up with a fix. <p>Thanks again for the help!<p>Mark
forrestgump

Post by forrestgump »

OOPS I mean a 1988 model sorry for the type O
Edd

Post by Edd »

Mark :
The only logical #'s given was the ser #....about a ' 89 year model, if an RCA. U shud be able to find the RCA chassis # somewhere inside, if it is of that manuf source. BTW whats the screen size and is it a TM or full console.
The CTC designator has been used by RCA on their color chassis' all the way back to the CTC-2
in fall 1953. This set is to old to have the unitized/ on chassis tuner ...shud be just a little earlier than CTC146. Check the pic tube to see if it is of RCA manuf by its label ... or has the RCA EIA identifier of 274 on it, or on many- many other components. Also find the FCC code ID # on the back. Was its failure mode leaving you with a totally dead set or did U still have sound, white noise or snowy/or/clear raster on the set ? Are there any visual LED'S utilized on the front panel ......Stereo, Sby, Pwr, etc and are/do they remain lit ? <p>73's de Edd<p>[email protected] (Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~~Speed)
[email protected]
(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
forrestgump

Post by forrestgump »

As it turns out the TV is an RCA. On the inside there is a PCB layout sticker marked with CTC130 series. On the tube its marked RCA-USA with the number A63ABP13X on it. Also Flyback has the numbers 847489111. I see some links on the net for the service manuals but does anyone know a good site? Actially anyone have one? Where it was marked 130 series is that enough information to order a manual?
The set when working had great picture full screen nice and bright etc... Then it started to turn off and if you wait a few minutes you could turn it back on. This got worse and worse until now the set doesn't turn on at all. No audio or picture. There was a resistor burned loose that i have repaired that was on the Horsional Deflection section. The fuse was blown also. The set after repair still doesn't work I'm thinking the faults I found are the result of a bad part still on there! I admit my electronic skills are not the sharpest however have been trained in electronics mostly based on early model computers. Therefore with out service guide i tend to get lost easily! Thanks again for all you help! <p>Mark Cox
[email protected]
Nova Scotia, Canada
Edd

Post by Edd »

Weeellllll Mark:
Looks like we know that its an ' 89---RCA-----and a 25" model now. CTC 130 is allthe data U shud need for getting a Sams schematic on it. I think mine is on fiche so I'll look back and refresh my memory on it. Seems like the main raw DC supply had a side ways mounted elect can cap that was bad about opening up . and seems like there was a ceramic white block power fusible resistor nearby....3.9 ohm ??? Also the two screws that mount the HOT xstr are bad about oxidizing and opening connection-- retighten (also... is it crashed C-E ) ?
Does the set seem to try to come on at all now ? Was that blown fuse an easy blow (visibly opened link) or a HARD blow ( link wiped out and
(BLACKENED internally) ? Was there operation after fuse replacement ? Will update U after I research.
73's de Edd
[email protected] (Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~~Speed)
[email protected] (Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)