Trunking...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
keymaker

Trunking...

Post by keymaker »

Back in the days I usedto have a scanner well hell I miss it but I am scared of trunking, How well do scanners do at trunk tracking?<p> I won't have a uniden or any of that garbage.. Unless I have to. What is offered by AOR these days that will fit the bill? Does yaseau make scanners? <p>
All I can remember is, I want FAST searching, small increments, Good sensitivity without stopping on every weakass empty carrier, and plenty of channel banks.<p>I think my AR8000 searched at 30 per second... That's terrible. Even back in those days, The crappy substandard unidens would scan 300 per second, If I remember right.<p>
Also, I usedto LOVE eavesdropping on cordless phones, How is that front looking these days? How do you listen to 900/2.4ghz phones? What about DSS phones, How the HELL do you listen in on those??<p> And, I suppose, Digital cell phones are out too..<p> :confused:
bodgy

Re: Trunking...

Post by bodgy »

I'll bite, but only because I'm intrigued to know what 'Trunking' is.<p>Not used by us Tea Taxers.<p>
bodgy
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
JdOwNj

Post by JdOwNj »

Again, illegal activity, unlikely to find answers here...
bobsRAC

Post by bobsRAC »

I'm currently doing r&d using DSSS, and conveniently enough just finished a design cycle for a DSSS packet radio. There are several different methods with increasing levels of complexity. Determining the encoding scheme can be done to some extent with a spectrum analyzer a close range, but you still need the Pn sequence to crack it. Even if you had a data sheet describing the exact encoding scheme and the Pn sequence, decoding the data requires considerable processing power, whether it's in the form of a CPLD, FPGA, or DSP.<p>To get an idea of what's involved, dig around for info on correlators, pseudo-noise generators (feedback shift register), IEEE 802.11, and IEEE 802.15.4.<p>If you're especially interested in some of the difficult aspects, creating hardware or algorithms that are free from the effects of clock skew is a hurdle.<p>All in all, unless you're experienced with high-speed digital design, you probably ought to focus your attention towards a more constructive cause.<p>[ July 06, 2002: Message edited by: bobsRAC ]</p>
JdOwNj

Post by JdOwNj »

choooom----><p>Right over my head! All that trouble for a dumb illegal activity... Get into comp security, there is money there, and you could work both sides, if u gotta be on the wrong side of the law...
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

I have to learn all that to listen to the local police who use trunking?? I had no idea it was such an involved situation!!<p>
JdOwNj, Stop your pissing and moaning.. It's perfectly legal to listen to the local police. I am tired of you, Fool. Just stop your bitching, You little bum!
Just stop it, you turd!
JdOwNj

Post by JdOwNj »

Eavesdropping on cordless phones is illegal as hell... myself an other people here are sick of this crap.... no, a police scanner isnt illegal... <p>Ok, so im a turd, and a bum, mebbe its cuz im not a drunk bum trying a variety of get rich quick schemes cuz im too lazy to get a job... get that vibrator out of ur butt, and wake up and see the light...
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

jdownz, Nobody cares if it's illegal. Why? That's the electronics hobbiest there, Curious fools we are.<p> What did you think anyway, I was going to listen to TRUNKED TELEPHONES???<p> Boy I tell you son, you're good, Just like spotting what a drunk I obviously am<p>
Yep, Keep up the good work there... You'll be up to manning the fryer in no time there<p>
Yessir! Get to it!
JdOwNj

Post by JdOwNj »

Fryer? What do you take me for? A Micky D U dropout? Nope, actually im helping people decide what comp to buy in Staples, to pay my way thru college in Systems Administration....
JdOwNj

Post by JdOwNj »

I do, However owe you an apol, cuz I misunderstood what you ment by "trunking"... Ive heard the term arouind here used to describe the processes of getting free cellfone service...
ericcarson

Post by ericcarson »

Enlighten me here. What the heck is trunking?
unknown_entity

Post by unknown_entity »

Well there are 2 types of "trunking" one has something to do with radio scanners. And i'm not really sure what how it works.
And the other trunking is also called phreaking or boxing. It uses a combination of tones to interact with the telephone system. It basicly makes you your own operator. Free calls unlisted nums. Ect. But it's not something i'd do today. Unless you live in some hicktown or a 3rd world country.