Where is antiqueradios.com?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
russlk

Where is antiqueradios.com?

Post by russlk »

I have not been able to access http://www.antiqueradios.com/ for the last few days. Anyone know why?
Chris Foley

Re: Where is antiqueradios.com?

Post by Chris Foley »

Is it possible you're looking for<p>http://www.antiqueradio.com/
russlk

Post by russlk »

Thanks, Chris. I wonder how in heck my favorites link got an "s" added?
Chris Foley

Post by Chris Foley »

Stuff happens. But, in the moments between the time the power goes on and the smoke escapes, we don't usually call it stuff. Happy hunting.<p>[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: Chris Foley ]</p>
russlk

Post by russlk »

Well, darn! antiqueradio is not the same site as antiqueradios so I still want to know: what happend?
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Here is the contact information for that URL:<p> Administrative Contact:
VOORHEES, ALAN [email protected]
10809 MCINTYRE STREET
OAKLAND, CA 94605
US
510 562-3235<p> <p>I did a GOOGLE search on this URL and it there is a www.antiqueradios.com (with the S) in the CACHED pages. Doing a reverse lookup on the phone number yeilds:<p>Kiwi Cat
street address not available
Oakland, CA 94601-0000 Home: (510) 562 - 3235 <p>So the number may be a "business" line of some sort or a phone number that got changed. Or someone was creative when they listed their phone number.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

http://www.antiqueradios.com is the proper URL for Alan Voorhees' antique radio site. Normally always up and running, it takes us regulars aback when it does go down. Currently, it's down for maintenance. Alan does that periodically to prune some things out, add a new forum topic or sometimes to switch servers. In fact, he's switched servers a couple of times in the past two or three years in order to speed the site up. Alan hasn't had a lot of time lately to maintain the site as he entered into some new job opportunities that really soaks up his spare time. I'm sure he doesn't like the fact that the maintenance can't be done as often since in the past, that was (and really still is) the most well-maintained forum and site over all on the Internet. So, don't bother him with e-mails about the situation. I can guarantee you that he's right on top of things.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Alan had contacted Don Black in Australia, who is one of the forum moderators, and gave him this information:<p>"The drive in the server has been failing, and it keeps generating read errors. A few days ago it corrupted the web server application files themselves, so the server [isn't] able to run. I've got a replacement drive and am muddling through the maze of files that have to be installed and configured to get it back on line. With luck it'll happen in a day or two."<p>A couple of years ago, Alan was hit with a really nasty virus and had a similar amount of downtime. I have faith that he'll get things going again before long.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.