Switch mode power supply

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Robert

Switch mode power supply

Post by Robert »

I have a Tamura switch mode power supply
model OVS-24J 24volts DC 16 amps. Would anyone
have a diagram for this unit and is it
possible to convert it to a 13.8 VDC supply?
Externet

Re: Switch mode power supply

Post by Externet »

Hello Robert.<p>Check if there is a potentiometer or resistor trimmer on the circuit. If so, try to reverse engineer that portion schematic diagram to confirm such trimmer does set the output voltage and check its operating range.
If the range is not enough to come down to 13 V, try changing the reference dividing resistor network to suit your goal.
If not, a way I know of is not pretty, but works, since five years ago:
I disassembled the switching transformer, counted the secondary turns, luckily that is the exterior winding, and rewound a lower ratio of turns with a thicker gauge (to fit) enameled wire.
Then, used a very fine enameled wire with the same original number of turns for the voltage sensor circuitry only.
You may need better rated rectifiers for the new secondary.
The new secondary must not connect to the same original PC board traces as those will be used for the reference winding only.<p>Good luck,
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
toejam

Post by toejam »

If you only need the rated current output of the supply you are trying to use, there are switching regulator circuts available in texas instruments apps books that will do the job easily.The parts cost would probabaly be less then ten bucks
Robert

Post by Robert »

Thanks Externet & toejam for your replies.
Iwill check them out later.<p>Robert