small electronic motors

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
some_guy

small electronic motors

Post by some_guy »

Hello everyone- I haven't posted here in a long time, but I have had nothing to post about. Anyway, the other day in my tinkering, I ran across two small electronic motors. Anyone have any interesting ideas as to what to do with them. They don't really say much about themselves on the cover, so I can't give you any details. But they are about .5 in. diamater, any ideas will apreciated, thank you! ~Some guy
Bernius1

Re: small electronic motors

Post by Bernius1 »

I've got 'em,too. I thought about a 'whirligig'.
(Those wind vanes with moving scenes, like a guy sawing, or bird flapping). Maybe a plastic plane model, where the prop drives the motor, & powers LED machine guns (blinking)& illum.cockpit. Or a music box. Why does my mind meander? Does a capacitor lead radiate RF into free air if the other terminal contacts an osc. circuit ? Does that same lead also absorb RF, and inject it into the circuit?? How high should Xc be to pass signal un-attenuated, but not so low as to load the LC tank? DO you really NEED the coil ? What if you beat a 'super-het' osc. signal over Vce; will that help pickup signal at the base WITHOUT a coil? Is the uV signal received actually photonic, or a voltage present over a high (and distant) resistance ? Oops. Time for BBQ !!!!
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

If you need perfect DC to DC isolation between two circuits, you can use one as a motor, connecting the two shafts together with a piece of thick wire insulation, and the other as a generator. You'll need filtering at the output of the generator to kill the spikes and take care of the ripple. It's noisy and inefficient but hey .... it's something to experiment with!<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
josmith

Post by josmith »

"electronic motors"??
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Brushless motors could be termed electronic motors perhaps, as they either come with commutating electronics or you have to build the commutator yourself.<p>
Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.