Books on Op-Amps

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
John Abel

Books on Op-Amps

Post by John Abel »

I’m interested in learning more about the Op-Amp. I have a pretty good knowledge base of basic electronics, and want to expand this to learn some of the intricacies of designing with Op-Amps. None of my local bookstores carry any such books, and I’m hesitant to shell out 50 some dollars online towards a book I know nothing about.
I don’t mind a book with some math, as long as it does a good job explaining vocabulary and concepts unique or central to op-amps. Also, I would prefer a book priced no higher then $70, unless you really think an additional investment would be worth it. If any of you have any experience with such books, I would greatly appreciate a suggestion.
ezpcb

Re: Books on Op-Amps

Post by ezpcb »

There are millions of webs can be found by google:
http://web.telia.com/~u85920178/begin/opamp00.htm
http://webpages.ursinus.edu/lriley/ref/ ... node5.html
http://www.chem.uoa.gr/Applets/AppletOp ... Amps2.html<p>reading some app notes or literatures of the semiconductor companies is also very helpful.<p>mike
http://www.EzPCB.com
High Quality PCB for Electronics Hobbists, Pay for Chrokee, Get Land Rover
rstofer

Post by rstofer »

Try this: "Op Amps For Everyone" a free book from TI http://focus.ti.com/docs/apps/catalog/r ... e=slod006b<p>I can't tell you how much help I have gotten from Chapter 4. I quote that material every chance I get.
Donald S. Lambert

Post by Donald S. Lambert »

Hi John,
Go to www.half.com to check out the used books. A lot of the popular authors of electronic books have wrote about OPAMPS. Give the author's name and check what is listed under that name for the books. Prices are such that yoiu can have quite a library of books on OPAMPS for $70.00. Often a book will be cheaper than the shipping. HTH Greybie
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

At the TI website, also look for the downloadable 'Handbook of Operational Amplifier Applications'.
You can't go wrong with anything you can find by Bob Pease (www.national.com/rap/), Walter Jung (Op Amp Applications Handbook, IC Op-Amp Cookbook), and Jerald Graeme (Designing with Operational Amplifiers, Optimizing Op Amp Performance). These guys have probably forgotten more about op amps than most of us will ever know.
I would also check used bookstores around home and online for certain used textbooks.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

For 15 years, I taught op amps from the Heathkit "Operational Amplifiers" course which you may be able to find on ebay as a used copy. The course was written by Howard Berlin who had a paperback version published by Sams titled "Operational Amplifiers with Experiments" or something like that.<p>I like that particular book because it's a really practical, cookbook-style course that gives you a good jumpstart into the subject without bombarding you with heavy-duty math. It covers all of the basic amplifier configurations including bipolar and single-supply operation, generators, filters, nonlinear circuits, Norton amps, etc.<p>A good follow-up book is Walt Jung's "Op Amp Cookbook", heavier on the math and less of a beginners' tutorial, but it does fill in a lot of details and provide extra information that is not found in Berlin's book.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi there,<p>
As quite a few people have already suggested,
you can get quite a bit of information online
these days and you dont need to spend money on
a book.
You can get a lot just by looking at the spec
sheet downloadable from National Semiconductor
on it's LM358 op amp, which is a good 'starter'
device. If you simply strive to understand
each spec (input offset voltage, etc) you'll
know much more about an op amp when you're done.
You can look each spec up on the web as you
come to it using a search engine. You'll get
a very good knowledge of op amps in this way.
If you still want a written copy of something
you can always buy a book after you've covered
the web first.<p>For example, when i type "op amp VIO" into
the Google search engine i get lots of hits
for more reading on input offset voltage.<p>
Take care,
Al
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
upsmaster

Post by upsmaster »

yes for your summer reading list
Operational Amplifiers Design And
Applications
Burr-Brown
Tobey-Graeme-Huelsman
McGraw-Hill 1971
Designing With Operational Amplifiers
Applications Alternatives
Burr-Brown
Graeme
McGraw-Hill 1977
Handbook of Operational Amplifier Circuit
Design
Stout-Milton
McGraw-Hill 1976
Amplifier Applications of OP AMPS
Jerald Graeme
McGraw-Hill 1999
Linear Integrated Circuits
Operation And Applications
J. Michael McMenamin
Prentice-Hall 1985
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Al, the trouble with all this on-line crap is that you can't write on it and take notes. And the material is hit-and-miss. Yeah, you can print the stuff out, but then you spend more in toner/ink and paper than you would have on the book and the book would have given you a lot more. There's no need to usher in any of Ray Bradbury's titles this soon!<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
craig-1

Post by craig-1 »

You might try (abebooks.com) type in what you want and chances are thay will have it.