Design Patterns on your oscilloscope

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
craig-1

Design Patterns on your oscilloscope

Post by craig-1 »

I am looking for a back issue of Nuts and Volts magazine that had a project device that will put patterns on your oscilloscope. I don't know the month or year but I do know it was in Nuts & Volts magazine. I will have to gess it was around 1990 to 2003 but then I am only gessing
Edd

Re: Design Patterns on your oscilloscope

Post by Edd »

The simplest pattern generation might simply the utilization of the units capability to produce Lissajous (ha…..ha…..spell check interrupts and suggests luscious !) patterns on its CRT.
Two signals of same amplitude, frequency and phase relationship will produce a circle
For the display, and as the inner relationships are varied the pattern will make several
continuous accompanying changes. The signals are applied to the vertical input and the EXTERNAL hoz inputs. A sine will produce smooth transitions while other waveshape combinationals can produce some real wild patterns.
For a simple quick no charge try on the net try:
http://www.questacon.edu.au/html/lissaj ... terns.html
But this is just a toy in comparison to what one can acquire with a scope and sig gens.<p>
73's de Edd
[email protected] ..….....(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected]….......(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
:D
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>I don't kill flies, but I like to mess with their minds. I sneak up on them from the rear with a sweeping hand motion to trap them in a palm and then grasp them by their wings and hold them above our geography globe. They freak out and yell, " Whoa !, I'm waaaaay too high !!!"
<hr></blockquote>
LOL!
Actually, the Lissajous figure of two identical signals (including phase) is a diagonal line. The phase shift needs to be 90 degrees or 270 degrees to yield a circle. Edd, I'll bet you knew that.
See this site for a nice little interactive app.<p>Ron<p>[ May 30, 2005: Message edited by: RonH ]</p>
Edd

Post by Edd »

RON….bo
Preecisely..I was just concentrating to hard on the preciseness of the other two input parameters…equal levels of deflection amplitude as well as the necessity of having to circumvent the internal hoz deflection timebase and instead, inject the second signal direct into the hoz circuitry .
I find that after a neophyte is initially introduced to an oscilloscope, the first signal level that will be tried is the omnipresent stray 60~ AC line pickup that can then be injected into a probe from a fingertip. Then, if they locate it, the cal sq wave signal is the next thing to be observed.
If they move on to hooking up to observe a Lissajous pattern, usually the most novel to them will be a circle, followed by a looped figure eight pattern, then on to more combinational/complex tracings.
Reconfirming… a circle can be seen at either 90° /270°, with a SW/to/NE sloping line to be viewed at 0°, and a NW/to/SE sloping line at 180°<p>73's de Edd
[email protected]….......(Firewalled*Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
:)
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>bo<hr></blockquote>
Brain overload? Buzz off? Butt out? Butt odor? Body odor?
craig-1

Post by craig-1 »

I am looking for a project that was published in Nuts & Volts magazine about 6, 7, or 8 years back???It hooked up to your O-scope. Give me a break with all of the side comments
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

I guess this is a "side comment" and to be considered undesirable:
I used to plug the L and R audio channels from my "Walkman" (Yes, in those days it was a Sony brand Walkman - expensive and bulky by today's standards) into the O-scope, setting it up for the Lissajous output. It was pretty cool watching the visual display. Kind of a screensaver of its day. (Whoops, I almost typed "it's day" - but that's another topic!!!!)
Unfortunatly, I don't have 13 years worth of Nuts and Volts magazines to flip through in search of a direct answer to your question :)
Best of luck in your search,
Dave
Edd

Post by Edd »

Craig:<p>Have you searched from 1996 up to thru 2003see if your article is listed in these references ?<p>http://www.nutsvolts.com/contents.htm <p>Prior to that it will be up to the goodness of some one with issues that far back to help you.<p>Ron…bo:
Where is your mind to be coming up with such demeaning alliterations as those surely I meant bo …as in RAMBO !<p>Dave:
Interesting to know that you had done that technique also. I had used a dedicated X-Y display built up with a 3RP1 scope tube to put atop my stereo system.<p>73's de Edd
[email protected]….......(Firewalled*Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;) ;) <p> You just haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while its running. !
;)<p>[ June 01, 2005: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

wow, and i thought i was only one who connected my scope to my stereo.
but there was a section on my scope that would turn the horizontal line into a dot
then i'd connect my left to the "Y" axis
and then connect the right to the "X" axis or either way didn't matter.
but it made great patterns to look at. seemed higher the volume,the bigger the designs , kind of looks like spirographs on acid,you all do rember spirograph? the kids toy...and when the bass hits good it jump accordingly.
well good luck hope you make some use of this..<p>EDD >> love them comments,,keep them coming..
i got a brillant idea that works,,make a generator run backwards..puts fuel and air back where it was before..only problem i have is, i cannot figgure out how to decombust.... :p
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

Edd:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Ron…bo:
Where is your mind to be coming up with such demeaning alliterations as those surely I meant bo …as in RAMBO !<hr></blockquote>
Uhhh...I get it. You meant ME - Ronbo!
Here at work, I'm called R-on, because I do a lot of work with line drivers, and we call the output resistance Ron, and... This is hard to describe in words. You had to be there. :)
I sometimes call myself Roff, which is probably more accurate.<p>Craig-1: Sorry to be off-topic, but if you peruse the archives, you'll see that in this forum, just as in most others, we drift off quite regularly. I don't see any harm in that.<p>R-on
craig-1

Post by craig-1 »

Iv'e checked N & V from 1996 to 2001 when i picked up my subscription and didn't find the article that i was looking for. It must be back farther back than I thort may 1995 or farther back yet.
Question when did N & V mag. became a article type mag. rather then a want ad type newpaper???
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

Craig-1,
In the 'Projects in Sight, Sound & Sensation' book you've asked for in another posting, there is a project like the one you ask about here. The 'Syntheshape - Oscilloscope Art Generator' generate some hefty patterns on your scope.<p>I got the book from Abebooks just the other day, sorry about that.<p>If you want I can scan the piece about the Syntheshape and mail it to you.<p>TOK ;)
Gorgon the Caretaker - Character in a childrens TV-show from 1968. ;)
craig-1

Post by craig-1 »

Yea; Go ahead and send it.GORGON 2667 Mail the synthesishape. I ordered the same book that you got I had to pay $48.50 for it because it is a collectors item shit I don't want the book because its a collectors item I just want the info. thats in the book, I don't care if its a collectors book or not. Anyway my address is craig sellen highland manor 164 south main st. carbondale PA 18407
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

Craig,
If you ordered the book, you'll get the info on the Syntheshape yourself. But if you'll have a copy any way, I'll email it to you.<p>TOK ;)
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

Hi Craig,
Did you get my email?<p>TOK ;)