March Issue

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Yerry

March Issue

Post by Yerry »

Arrived today (3/2)!

Some good constructiona rticles-- 2-bit I/O via serial port, amalog msic synth, and a few other things.
Newz2000

Re: March Issue

Post by Newz2000 »

That's 20 bit i/o, not 2-bit. Of course, Yerry may have allready tried constructing the project and found that it truly is 2-bit. :-D Just kidding, it actually looks very insightful. I didn't realize that serial had such a distance advantage over USB.

It seems to me this magazine is a bit heftier than previous issues. It could be my imagination though.
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

Seems to me there is a good variety of articles in this month's issue. I do miss the In The Trenches column this month though. Hope it hasn't been axed for good.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

does anyone rember the weekend workbench ? or was that another magazine ??
philba

Post by philba »

I have to say that I've been bitchin' about how lightweight N&V is for a while now but this issue puts some meat on the bone. Of course they still have their goofy production screwups - notice the schematic for the 2-bit, er 20-bit, I/O board is upside down. Thought I needed new glasses there for a minute...

the analog synth project is pretty interesting. I'd never build one of those but it's definitely more exciting that most of the projects in the last 12 months.

Hope this is part of a trend.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

I remember Andy Anode's Weekend Workbench column.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

I was pleased to see at least one project that was just that--a project with a professional front panel and something actually utile. I cant stand these articles that end up being 6 pages of software and some cheesy bread board that probably gets dissasembled for the next cheesy project.
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

Robert, I was thinking about your statement today and just thought I'd toss out an oposing view point. I like the articles that give foundational material and allow me to easily extend the project or incorporate elements of the article into projects I'm working on. I'd say it's pretty rare that I'd take a project from the magazine and do it just the way it's advertised.

Also, I thought, for the sake of discussion, I'd toss out a statement relating to Harry J. Kennedy's feedback on page 98. He complains that the magazine has too many microcontroller, computer and robotics articles and that he wishes there were more simple digital/analog circuits.

Do you agree with HK's statement, or do you feel the ratio is fine the way it is now, or would you prefer more MCR (microcontroller, computer, robotics) articles?

I personally enjoyed the PWM module that was published last winter, but that would probbably fall into his robotics list. I also enjoy the computer and microcontroller based articles.

I also think microcontrollers are the way of the future. I can do stuff with one 8 pin microcontroller and a single resistor that would otherwise take 4 or more 74*/4000 chips.

Please don't interpret these statements as flames or argumentitve, but merely as *friendly* discussion starters.
russlk

Post by russlk »

I agree that microcontrollers are the way of the future, but it is an analog world and you have to know how to do the interface. I have been doing analog design for 40+ years and am just beginning to learn how to use uCs.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Matt
Don't get me wrong, I think microcontollers,pics, etc. are amazing and wonderful devices. They definately have their place in electronic design. But I think the key word here is "place". Like any other electronic hardware, it should be used where it is needed and beneficial to circuit design. It just seems that the first item some authors think of when designing-- is a pic. just because it is there and can perform many complex functions. But as great as they are, there is a certain amount of complexity in there design process, that in many cases does not use the full benefits of these chips.This is where analog or common logic is more desirable. Case in point. I wouldn't use a very expensive hi-gain, hi- power, hi- frequency transistor for an audio interstage amplifier just because its better in all respects than say a 2N3904. That would certainly be overkill and I see a lot of this going on with pics. As to magazine content, I feel it is too top heay with topics that stray from core electronics. They already have a sister publication on robotics, so why even bother with that subject. There are computer oriented mags out there that you can bury yourself in with micros and software. Not that occasional articles such as these wouln't be of interest, but I would like to see more core electronic articles. Well we are all different and have are opinions of an "ideal" electronics publication, but this is my two cents worth.