Need Connector Retailer

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
theorivas

Need Connector Retailer

Post by theorivas »

I am about to modify/destroy a USB connector to a proprietary 5 pin male on a digital camera ( WEBCAM
3-in-1 Digital Pen Camera/Video Camera/Webcam
Model: penstylecam). I'll probably need to remove the proprietary connector on the camera and replace with a standard connector. Where do you buy these kinds of connectors? I already spent an half hour on the net.

Thanks
philba

Re: Need Connector Retailer

Post by philba »

before you go and hack it up, are you certain it is a proprietary connector? at that pricepoint, I would think they used off-the-shelf stuff. The pictures I found don't show the connector. You sure it's not one of the mini-USB connector types? there are some pictures here - http://www.cypressindustries.com/products/usb.html

all the big distis carry usb connectors. mouser has 332 hits on "usb connector". google for "usb connectors" came up with a ton of hits.
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

I've seen single quantity USB B and mini B connectors on Sparkfun (www.sparkfun.com) for $0.99 each. They don't penalize you for buying small quantities.

Have you thought of just hacking off one end of a usb cord and soldering it permanantly in place?
NV185864

Post by NV185864 »

Have you scanned a hard copy of Digikey catalog. i find stuff like this in there very often. Sometimes it's hard to search for these things electronically.