mixing DC power supplies

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
perfectbite

mixing DC power supplies

Post by perfectbite »

I do not have a 17VDC power supply but I do have individual 5VDC and 12VDC power supplies each with a different but above 2Amp rating and I need 17 volts for a stepper motor test. My humble question to you all is 'Can I series the different power supply outputs to get 17VDC without smoking either power supply?' Thanks.
Dave Dixon

Re: mixing DC power supplies

Post by Dave Dixon »

Probably - - BUT - - First you need to be sure that both power supply returns (-) are isolated. Have them each plugged in and turned on and check for continuity between the two power supply returns. If there is no continuity - you are in business. Most good power supplies have the return (-) isolated from case/line ground, but not all.
Good luck,
Dave
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

On another note, how about two nine volt batteries = 18V. If you have to have 17 use a diode or two as discussed in the thread "Voltage drop across silicon diode"
Dave
perfectbite

Post by perfectbite »

Thank you Dave, that worked. I did think of using 9V batts but my original problem (the one I wanted to check) may have been a lack of amperage to begin with, it wasn't. Stepper notors may be strong but I found, much to my disappointment, that if the load doesn't move on the first pulse it ain't gonna move on the umpteenth pulse (it wasn't much of a load either and steppers aren't gravity friendly, even very light vertical loads tend to fall back down). Meanwhile, back at the drawing board, one door closes another opens.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Dont forget that its only as strong [amperage] as the lowest number out put value of any multiple PS. Same goes for batteries, its only as strong [amperage]as the weakest battery.