FM transmission for 'around the house'

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dr_when

Re: FM transmission for 'around the house'

Post by dr_when »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> Either way I don't do much music streaming. I just use my PC speakers and they make the sound loud enough to hear almost anywhere in my house, or I turn on the radio. <hr></blockquote><p>yeah, I hear those trailers are pretty small. Which mobile home park do you live in? :)
"Who is John Galt?"
Mike

Post by Mike »

So...no commment on turning on the PC??? Instead an insult because you are too scared of admiting you were wrong?<p>You know, you are just making yourself look dumber and dumber. Many speakers for both computer and steros are loud. And Logitech Z-5500 speakers would definately be condidered house-rattling loud to anybody who isn't deaf. Those are plenty loud to hear on the floor of the house they are on, and my stereo is plenty loud as well to hear on the floor it's on.<p>And to me it doesn't matter. I'm usually in or near the room they are in.<p>Oh, and I figured I would help you out a little. This link looks like it is something you could really use:
http://www.apa.org/pubinfo/anger.html#manage<p>I never said anything that would make you start insulting me, all I did was suggest a way to broadcast music with much better quality. I don't see where that insults you.
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

Why do you say I was insulting you? Maybe it was a big compliment! A little defensive are we?<p>Oh, BTW, your spelling is atrocious also.<p>[ May 23, 2005: Message edited by: dr_when ]<p>[ May 23, 2005: Message edited by: dr_when ]</p>
"Who is John Galt?"
philba

Post by philba »

I'll try a rational take on it. It's a pretty big investment to use PCs or dedicated mp3 boxes. The advantage of FM broadcast is that the receivers are very cheap and have a nice form factor. The PC is probably the most unfriendly choice going. By the time you boot it up for some romantic music, her mood has passed... Wireless mp3 players are a possibility but they can't compete with the cost of a small FM radio.<p>On the other hand, you can get much better quality and flexibility with an mp3 box and often have the ability to select the songs at the box (I say often because the interfaces on most of them suck big time).
Mike

Post by Mike »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dr_when:
Why do you say I was insulting you? Maybe it was a big compliment! A little defensive are we?<p>Oh, BTW, your spelling is atrocious also.<p>[ May 23, 2005: Message edited by: dr_when ]<p>[ May 23, 2005: Message edited by: dr_when ]<hr></blockquote><p>Since when is two simple spelling mistakes make my spelling "atrocious"<p>And, before being hypocritical, I would suggest reading one of your own posts:<p>[QUOTE]Originally posted by dr_when:
[QB]The CCrane transmitter has a label on the back that when removed reveals an access hole to a pot. Turning this pot all the way clockwise ups the power to a point more than adequate for transmitting through an entire household (and maybe a neighbors). I believe you could also do some things with the antenna but I found that to be unnecessary after boosting the power. The plus side is that you can easily choose a frequency in your area that will not affect anyone nearby.<p>Since one or two errors makes something atrocious to you, then I guess both your grammar and spelling is atrocious. Again I will help you out a little. Whenever you are talking about a possession, you ALWAYS add an apostrophe before the "s" at the end. That is one of the most basic parts of the English language.<p>And either you have something wrong with you, but your little trailer comment IS an insult, and I can almost guarantee you that nobody else here will contradict what I said.
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> And either you have something wrong with you, but your little trailer comment IS an insult, and I can almost guarantee you that nobody else here will contradict what I said. <hr></blockquote><p>The trailer comment could be a compliment if you are living out of a "dumpster" (which may be the case). Anyway, the Bears suck, and FM is still the cheapest way to get whole-house sound (short of wiring), even if you are streaming with a PC.<p>Have a great day!! :)
"Who is John Galt?"
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

This is a little off topic, because the range of this transmitter is only about 3 meters.
Has anyone tried the Belkin Tunecast? I have a possible application for it (not iPod). They seem to be available for around $25 - $30, depending on which model you get.<p>Ron
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

Bump
Mike

Post by Mike »

Depending on how far away the computer is from the stereo, this might work, and it's only $20<p>http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId ... ON&cpc=CLR