ian's grammactical rules

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
rshayes

Re: ian's grammactical rules

Post by rshayes »

Quote from Chris Smith:<p>"You all agree, its not THAT important to be perfect in English."<p>According to my count, 17 separate people have contributed to this thread. Of these, at least 12 emphasized that good English was very important. No one, other than Chris, specifically claimed that good English was unimportant. Several stated that they would not hire a person with extremely poor English.<p>To conclude that "all agree" in these circumstances is bizarre to say the least. The proper conclusion is that "most disagree".<p>Quite frankly, I fail to see how a "successful" engineering career can be built on this type of logic.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Another of my pet peeves are those who print in all uppercase letters and then dot the i, e.g., the sign in front of the music store in town: PiANOS.<p>There were a couple of billboards that went up down here in my area of southeast Missouri (Hooterville at its best) advertising the little eatery that had just gone in. They advertised "JP's RESTURANT" on the sign. I could see the cafe owner arguing with the sign painter about the spelling. "There's another 'A' in the word, you idiot. If you didn't know how to spell it, you should have gone down and looked at the sign on the front of the building." That sign? It said, "RESTUARANT"<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

And Steven, ....how many are successful engineers, ......and how many are ####1 retentive failures? <p>There is a cure for ####1 retentive behavior. <p>Its called medication, or DRUGS.<p>[ May 31, 2005: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

Oh, there was a restaurant in Waukeegan, IL some 25 years ago with a great big rotating sign all lit up. The sign said "Seville Restanraut"<p>I have some photos of that sign somewhere around here.<p>I love when the store puts up a sign that says<p>Try our selection of "wines"<p>One wonders what they really are...