Irritant venting

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Dave Dixon

Re: Irritant venting

Post by Dave Dixon »

I'm trying soooo hard to give up this thread. (I know that soooo isn't a real word, but I'm sure you all get my point.) I don't expect perfection from myself or any other poster.
Leave it to Ian to slip in "building a national infra-structure of solar cells" into this discussion!
Chris, I have my sleeves rolled up as I type this. I am a lowly Engineering Technician with only a high school education. I have over 25 years of on-the-job experience, and stand by my earlier statement regarding the test pilots who couldn't cut it. I do both mechanical and electrical engineering as well. If I could not communicate my thoughts/solutions/ideas to the rest of the world, I would be pretty useless. I guess I could build something up, point and grunt, and shake my head for yes or no - when they have questions. Or else the company could hire a secretary to do the "other half" of my job for me.
In my case, talent and experience were a major reason I have my job. I have no doubt that there were others with similar qualifications, but having better communications and "people" skills probably tipped the scales in my direction. That's just in my own humble opinion.
Regards,
Dave
philba

Post by philba »

I find it interesting that the chief proponent of ignoring grammar and spelling puts up some of the most unintelligible (and long winded) posts I have ever seen.<p>Phil
ian

Post by ian »

I'll tell you Americans something else.
I think its a disgrace not to pay taxes, Chris shirks his social responsibilities and at the same time encourages others to pay for a bankrupting solar cell infrastructure HE won't pay for.
It gets even more unbelieveable, on top of that, on this forum he PROMOTES breaking the law, even brags about it AND advises how to do it.
Since I'm a Canadian it doesn't matter to me but if I were an American I'd be writing the IRS and the keepers of this forum. I don't think someone who promotes breaking federal laws should have a responsible position in this medium.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dr_when:
Sheesh!<p>When did they start spelling grammar with two "a's"? In Southern California (a place in which I am glad I no longer live) we used to spell it: "grammer".<p>[ May 17, 2005: Message edited by: dr_when ]<hr></blockquote><p>GRAMMAR is the structure of a language and how the words and punctuation work within that languange.<p>GRAMMER on the other hand is a small town in Indiana, USA.<p>(Sorry, I couldn't pass this up.)<p>As I complete this it is T Minus six hours 49 minutes until my showing of Star Wars starts; I'm outta here. (And I know outta is a slang term.)<p>[ May 18, 2005: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]</p>
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Nobody is ignoring you sofa.<p>Were just enjoying the spin offs and trying not to take anything too serious. <p>Yes learning is great, even English, but often the scientific mind has trouble in the esoteric world, and shouldn’t worry about it to much if its just not your thing. <p>As long as you can communicate, and you learn the words that you need, you will make it in the science world even with bad grammar, spelling, and penmanship. <p>This is not a promotion for illiteracy, its just a reality that weighs in heavy with the scientific mind.<p>I remember being told how many things I could never do because I was color blind. <p>Well that didn’t work out for the tellers of that story either.<p>And Ian, you read well between the lines, where nothing exists. <p>You don’t have nearly enough information to make your conclusions of what I actually do, and your post reflects your inability to communicate, so you feign an attack to discredit based on a completely different subject. <p>Doesn’t work for me?

As for ....“most unintelligible (and long winded) posts “ <p>Thanks for the joke, my communication works a lot better than yours here, as I have ignited many minds into, short of tantrums but at least they are thinking.<p> I aim to ignite the thinking process, and I have succeeded, long wind and all. <p>Not bad for an Illiterate like me with over 60 published answers in Nuts and Volts Magazine. <p>It must all those bad communication skills of mine. <p>and from our canuck friend.....?<p>"I'll tell you Americans something else.
I think it’s a disgrace not to pay taxes, Chris shirks his social responsibilities and at the same time encourages others to pay for a bankrupting solar cell infrastructure HE won't pay for.
It gets even more unbelieveable, on top of that, on this forum he PROMOTES breaking the law, even brags about it AND advises how to do it.
Since I'm a Canadian it doesn't matter to me but if I were an American I'd be writing the IRS and the keepers of this forum. I don't think someone who promotes breaking federal laws should have a responsible position in this medium"<p>[ May 18, 2005: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chris Smith:
Thanks for the joke, my communication works a lot better than yours here, as I have ignited many minds into, short of tantrums but at least they are thinking.<p> I aim to ignite the thinking process, and I have succeeded, long wind and all. <hr></blockquote><p>You want to change the world, yet an examination of the evidence shows us that all you've changed is the N&V electronics forum. If that change is for the good is highly questionable.
You're like a long, long bus ride seated next to Pat Robertson or Michael Moore (take your pick).
philba

Post by philba »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sofaspud:
If that change is for the good is highly questionable.
<hr></blockquote><p>There's no question in my mind. <p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>

You're like a long, long bus ride seated next to Pat Robertson or Michael Moore (take your pick).
<hr></blockquote><p>Shudder... On both accounts.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Thank you,... both of you! <p>Really! <p> I admire both of them [Pat and Michael] for doing the same, but just a little. We have way too many sheep in the country, so many that New Zealand wants them back. <p>Lighting a fire under buttockal material, merely requires that you know where the matches are.<p> I agree just a little with pat, and a little more with Moore, but just a little. <p>Both sides combined do make a better sanity than we presently have. <p>They both are well known as anti sleeping agents.
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

This is my stop, so I'll leave you with this parting thought.
It is not the loudest but the most persuasive who achieves meaningful influence.
Xknowitall

Post by Xknowitall »

I agree with Dale. Poor grammar and mispronunciations too often taint our respectability, especially in the eyes of our foreign counterparts. The worst offenders are undeniably marketing professionals that brew up the most despicable commercials that are children are exposed to on a daily basis. (Case in point; the Select Comfort TV ad ( I have never once, experience back pain, personally since we’ve gotten it.)
This is the type of communications we do not need! Unfortunately this garbage influences, and teaches our children as much as, or more than our public education system.
Will

Post by Will »

OK Ian, As you say - water under the bridge - but you had last word in - so will I - I never expressed any opinion on the cost of solar systems, but I do know you are right when, on the odd accasion, you say $4.00/kW. The trouble, and the only reason I got in to the picture, is that you are too quick to make personal criticisms and attacks on people - If you don't like what Chris says then ignore him and don't comment. There is absolutely no need for the fools, idiots,, etc comments from you or any one else. And, if you are up to the math and units then you should proof-read your stuff more carefully (There is no need for Chris to do that because he doesn't claim to be expressively precise. For instance . . your 10 kWH (kWh) system - there is no such thing (unless you get 83,333 'D; cells each with 100 mAh capacity ) . . it is a 10 kW system . . and . . if you paid (Your figures) $4,000 for a $0.40/kW system then it would not be a 10 kW (Or a 10kWH (kWh)) unit . . it would be a 10 MegaWatt system.
Chris,
How about an engineer with lots of 'hands on' (Filing and Hacksawing brass blocks and steel brackets) ) experience . . . with he additional capability of being able to write precise specifications and contract documents - does that allow him to be an engineer, or consign him to being a 'paper pusher' ?
W. Brown C.Eng MIEE SMISA
BB
ian

Post by ian »

Chris, I didn't read between any lines. In the "National debt" thread you stated you stopped paying in 93'. If you weren't talking about taxes in a taxes thread then what were you talking about?
Either you're lying or you're very suggestive of something that is not true. Perhaps you think confusing people about what you're saying is sign of intelligence. Especially ironic considering the topic of this thread.<p> And Will, geez bud, you're getting a lot of mileage over an added "H".
Will

Post by Will »

Ian,
If you are unable to understand that kWh (Not kWH) is ENERGY and kW is power then there is no point in further pursuit of this thread.
BB
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Its easy Ian, I gave you some of the puzzle and you made up the rest. That’s commonly known as a trap for fools, and like a rabbit, you fell in. I offer pieces for the reader to examine on their own, because class room speeches usually put people to sleep. If you want to know how to not pay taxes for false wars, or how to not get run through the wash, or how not get blackmailed or bribed by your federal government, then you too will have to do your own home work and at the end of the day you will be wiser, and you will have less of the youthful foolishness that makes you impulsive. Never assume anything. <p>Taxes and the Tax structure for every corporation in America is a shell game, and you don’t know how to play, so you accuse me of “what”?<p> Learn the subject before you speak and people will take you more seriously and you will be wiser for doing so. Too often you fall for the simple shell game, and still wonder how its done?
ian

Post by ian »

There are some really dopey people here.<p>Chris, if anybody is playing a shell game it's you.<p>Will, I never mistook kWh for kW, I may have mistyped it, but I never confused the two. However you keep pretending I did. The math and numbers I presented never amounted to a confusion of the two, so bugger off.