science project

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Hot Juan's

science project

Post by Hot Juan's »

I am interested in having two points communicate with each other, for a science project. I would like point A to emit a constant or pulsed signal, possibly a FM signal, that has a range of 100 meters. And on the other end, I would like a receiver to ‘hear’ the signal and signal an LED and a buzzer. For someone that knows VERY little about electronics, is this possible? I have been looking online for kits, but have yet to find anything. Also, I do not want to spend an arm and a leg on this project.
wd5gnr

Re: science project

Post by wd5gnr »

Take a look at http://www.wd5gnr.com/rfrem.htm and make a trip to Radio Shack. I think this will do what you want.
Mike

Post by Mike »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hot Juan's:
Also, I do not want to spend an arm and a leg on this project.<hr></blockquote><p>well, then i wouldn't take that trip to RadioShack.
myp71

Post by myp71 »

:D
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

A simple way to do something like this can be with the use of a laser, and a 567 tone decoder with a photo detector. You can use a common Red laser pen and a small motor with pie wheel complete with hole, and spin the pie wheel in front of the laser to modulate it. <p>The 567 tone decoder and Photo Detector can be set to adjust, and trigger at the pulsed frequency of the laser and spinning pie wheel, similar to a tachometer. <p>The whole project can be done for under 20 bucks as well?