bandsaw blade welder (old one)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
2M MACHINING

Re: bandsaw blade welder (old one)

Post by 2M MACHINING »

Larry , I would sure appreciate any advice you could lend in operating this type of blade welder.<p>At this point im still searching for a schematic for this blade welder.<p>Its missing parts and not operational as of yet.<p>thanks
2M MACHINING

Post by 2M MACHINING »

Larry ,thanks for the tips on blade welding.<p>What Im looking for right now is a schematic for the same exact type or similar blade welder so I can get this one working.<p>This one is missing power supply.<p>I was thinking if i could find a schematic i build the thing.<p>thanks
Mike M
Deal

Post by Deal »

I realize that the puzzle is to fix this bandsaw welder, but want to add cheap alternative is to Oxy Acc blades with silver solder. Route 1/32 in a piece of wood and clean blade ends and flux and fit them in the routed tracks held by clothes pins or whatever, about three thousands apart (because expansion heat will join). Sand your silver solder and flux it. Apply quick heat and solid solder touch and then back off. Practice on old blades. Be aggressive about smoothing weld with rotary dremel sanding (bad welds will bump and fail in bandsaw..but don't give up on a good blade, clean it and solder it again). Electronic/electric band blade welders are probably great, but they all take practice and exacting set-up and space in your shop. A piece of wood, two clothespins and a steady hand will join a cheaper blade.
2M MACHINING

Post by 2M MACHINING »

How does this sound, I will build a recitifier able to deliver somewhere between 250 to 450 amps at say 2 to 10 volts. This should weld those ends togather.<p>Any ideas on the cheapest & easy way to do this.<p>full wave bridge
half wave bridge<p>You can cut an orange with a 2x4 but why not use a knife.<p>Thanks
Mike M
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

You shouldn't need a rectifier. AC will heat things up as well as DC. I haven't seen a blade welder, but I do remember seeing a spot welder. It was basically a transformer with a single turn secondary connected to two contact points. I assume that the wire size of the primary was chosen to limit the primary current to something under 15 amps. I would expect that you blade welder used something similar.<p>Switching would probably be in the primary circuit, with either a heavy push button switch or a contactor operated by a push button switch.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

You shouldn't need a rectifier. AC will heat things up as well as DC. I haven't seen a blade welder, but I do remember seeing a spot welder. It was basically a transformer with a single turn secondary connected to two contact points. I assume that the wire size of the primary was chosen to limit the primary current to something under 15 amps. I would expect that your blade welder used something similar.<p>Switching would probably be in the primary circuit, with either a heavy push button switch or a contactor operated by a push button switch.<p>Try a google search for "spot welders" or "resistance welders".
2M MACHINING

Post by 2M MACHINING »

The transformer that looks like it is part of welder reads .75 KVA. It has 4 different wireing combinations (high voltage, low voltage) single phase.<p>The wire diagram says (line),my source is 208V, 3ph
If I take any 2 legs of 208V, 3PH then I have 208V, 1PH.
Connect 208V,1PH to line of transformer configured to 240V.<p>Then connect the secondary leads(which Im still unclear which leads they are) of transformer to blade welding terminals. <p>The only problem I see is that 1 leg of blade welding terminal is ground through the frame.<p>How can i find a schmatic of a (stryco welder) ,it look similer to the type i have.<p>i have google searched till blue in face.<p>Any help or ideas appricated.<p>Thanks
Mike M
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

The transformer may have multiple taps on the primary for different line voltages. A little work with an ohmmeter would establish which leads are connected to the primary and what order they are in.<p>The secondary will be a few volts at several hundred amps. This will be a few turns of a heavy conductor such as copper braid, copper strip, or copper bar stock. The terminals may be just a flat copper tab with a hole for a bolt. Look for something big and heavy.<p>It sounds like you have two clamps for the two ends of the blade. One of them may not be insulated from the frame of the bandsaw. I would expect both of them to have a threaded hole to allow bolting a large lug to each clamp. These would be the connections from the transformer secondary.<p>I would assume that both connections from the transformer secondary are brought to the clamps with heavy cables. The uninsulated clamp provides a ground connection for the secondary circuit. This ground should not carry the welding current.<p>Welding supply shops should have suitable cable and the lugs for terminating it.<p>[ May 19, 2005: Message edited by: stephen ]</p>
Baccus61

Post by Baccus61 »

Hi Mike,
In an issue of one of the model engineering magazines (Model Engineer's Workshop, a UK publication) a bloke made a blade welder from a 750 watt transformer and used a Variac to control the primary side and the secondary side had 1 complete turn of welding cable around it giving a few volts but around 350 amps for a 3/8 to 1/2 inch blade he also made an electronic timer for the annealing and welding parts of it. You may want to contact them and see if you can get the appropriate issue. Hope this helps.
regards Richard.
NetVoikGuy

Post by NetVoikGuy »

Hi 2N,<p>Considering that your welder doesn't have a power supply ... do ya think it might be easier to just run down to Sears and buy a modern bandsaw? Yaknow, with the laser guides and all that?<p>just a thought,
tommy<p>[ May 24, 2005: Message edited by: Netvoikguy ]</p>
Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I might be able to find one, we have an old Peerless bandsaw with a Strycho welder on it, I'll have to see if we still have the schematic for it. I've fixed it a bunch of times but never needed the schematic, its biggest problem was the motor bushings were worn.
Keep Prying...

Crowbar
2M MACHINING

Post by 2M MACHINING »

Crowbar, did you have any luck finding a schematic for stryco welder.<p>Much apprication<p>Mike M