WAV file format

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Tinkerer

WAV file format

Post by Tinkerer »

How do I get a look inside a WAV file and what would I see?
CeaSaR

Re: WAV file format

Post by CeaSaR »

Took a quick look at one through a standard TEXT editor - I use TrekText because I like Star Trek - and what a mess those files are!The file I looked at started with RIFF (it was a riff-wav file) and was followed by all kinds of letters, numbers and symbols, none of which I could make any sense of in just 1 minute. I even opened up the file in an audio editor and saved a VERY small section to look at. Same thing, RIFF followed by a square. That was it. Sorry i can't help you any further.<p>If you want to take a look at any file to see what is inside it, use a standard text editor - DosEdit, Notepad etc. You may not understand what you are looking at, but at least you'll see something! Of cousre, there is always Debug.<p>Good to see another Pennsyltukian on the board!<p>CeaSaR<p>I really need to use spellcheck more often. ;)<p>[ January 12, 2005: Message edited by: CeaSaR. ]</p>
Hey, what do I know?
philba

Post by philba »

get a binary editor (there are a number of shareware ones. Here's a page that describes WAV format http://ccrma.stanford.edu/CCRMA/Courses ... aveFormat/<p>Have fun.
Tinkerer

Post by Tinkerer »

thanks, philba. dang! that's complicated stuff.
philba

Post by philba »

well, it may look complex but if you build up a set of routines that access the file and give you the specific information you need, you can declutter it quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find code on the internet for that. also check source forge, I'd bet there are a bunch of sound projects that read/write WAVs.