Amazing soldering tool

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
haklesup

Re: Amazing soldering tool

Post by haklesup »

It looks like a useful tool within its limitations (temp, wattage, battery life, etc.). Only real problem I see is that it is not ESD safe but most cordless are not anyway. Probably safe enough if you ground yourself.<p>Maybe not good for an expensive microcontroller in an SMT package but great for car radio installation
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Anybody remember the 800 (888?) number for the TV version of the deal?
"if it's not another it's one thing."
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

1-800-576-5092, 19.95 + S&H + applicable taxes. Radio Shack has it for sale minus the free wire stripper, same price.<p>CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Thanks ceaSar<p>I started in with the 800 number and realized the entire order, including credit card entry, would be taken by voice messaging. Spooky, to say the least. Think I'll hit Rat Shack for this one, give up the free stripper and settle for just the hot new tool.
High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

If anyone runs across replacement tips in stores (not the website) post it here. I'll be looking for a new tip.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<p>I just noticed you are from B'ham, AL jimandy. I was born and raised in Bessemer, AL and relocated to Brainerd, MN in 2001 brrrrrrrr major weather shock! LOL
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

As it turns out the tool is not actually "in" Radio Shack stores (at least not in Birmingham.) It's one of those special order things. But I did review the on-line manual and found the following disturbing item:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>When soldering electronic parts with a small pin-out (or any part with “legs” or leads that are
close together), use caution not to bridge two or more different pins with the opposite halves
of the Split-Tip™. Doing so will cause a current discharge into the part and may damage it.
<hr></blockquote>
Which reinforces comments already posted that this is not a tool for circuit board projects. Thanks for all who contributed.<p>and to high4volts - a big "howdy" from Alabama.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

The local RS here has been sold out, but they have a shelf tag for it. Big seller, seasonal item, special order??? Who knows with that company.<p>CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
CTMan

Post by CTMan »

There is an entire website for "Cold Heat". If I remember correctly it does not appear to be good for ESD devices. Looks good for a backup or some basic work on wiring and things.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

There is a web site for this device that answers some of the questions. They claim that part of the secret behind how this soldering iron works is MAGIC. But then the FAQ goes on to explain how it works. Here is the URL for the FAQ:
http://www.coldheat.com/technology.php?section=tn_faq<p>In Reader's Digest version it works as follows:
A patented material called "Athalite" is pumped with a current controlling circuit. It heats to 800 degrees F in a second or so and cools down to room temperature in about 3 seconds when the button is released.<p>QVC sells this for $16.34 and includes the FREE stripper. Shipping is $4.22 ($20.56 total). It is QVC part number V22070. The entire link is too messy to include so simply go to the QVC site at: http://www.qvc.com<p>Enter V22070 in the search box.<p>I have to say "What's up with Radio Shack?" I was going to buy one of these when I found out RS carried them. None are in the store and RS wanted me to buy the item and get free shipping. This turned me from an impulse buyer to a no buyer.<p>[ January 15, 2005: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]</p>
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
AB8RU

Post by AB8RU »

I was at another Post site and they said Save your money, I noted that Radio Shack is selling it with their name on it, also I have seen that wire stripper before, made in China. I would stick to a company that makes pro tools like Paddalin, Xcelite, etc..<p>I recalled several years ago Whal came out with a iso tip cordless soldering tool rechargeable, a freind had one, worked GR8 :D <p>I still prefer the Weller SP-23 23 Watt 120 volter, and I think someplace I still have the Weller D-550 Soldering GUN.<p>tips are always at any store taht carries them.
Mark AB8RU
AB8RU

Post by AB8RU »

You can order with a Check Card or Credit Card @ their web site Radio Shack Home Page<p>also this is the direct link Cordless iron direct link<p>Catalog #: 64-2102 priced at $19.99
Mark AB8RU
loweredd

Post by loweredd »

DO NOT BUY THE COLD HEAT.<p>LOL,I registered here to tell you guys to save your money. It works, but it is about a 5 watt soldering iron. It does not work worth a crap.
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

Actually, it's not a horrible soldering tool. I have used it and it's fine for perhaps keeping in your car to solder speaker wires or things like that. Pretty useless for doing any board-level work as the tip is kind of big. I think it is not better or worse than the butane irons except that they can handle larger gage wire soldering jobs.<p>Forget surface mount and fine pitch soldering altogether.
"Who is John Galt?"
camino75080

Post by camino75080 »

I bought one to test it, its OK but the tip gets eaten up quickly. Also, your'e supposed to use Lithium batteries, but I used Alkilines it killed them in a matter of minutes. other than that it realy does work.