Air horn

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
myp71

Air horn

Post by myp71 »

I know more than likey this will be too much for me to do but I would like to get an idea so when it comes up too hard I can get it out of my head.<p>I always wanted a electronic air horn like on the police cars you know the big crown vics ;) but you can't buy em cause they come with the siren.<p>The air horns that come with the siren are like 100-200 watts I really don't need it to be that loud.<p>Thanks for any input
jwax

Re: Air horn

Post by jwax »

WA2RBA
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

This can be easily done, depending on how much you want to scrounge it together. You can buy an audio amplifier or build one of your own. You could strip an audio amplifier out of a bull horn, use a CB radio with a PA feature, and old stereo/boombox etc. That will get you the LOUDNESS part of the circuit. If you don't want to get caught with a siren, the AUDIO portion of your horn could come from a mini solid state recording chip. Simply find the "electronic" horn sound FX you want from somewhere on the web or ask a police/paramedic/firefighter friend to let you record one of their horns (preferably to tape for now). Record whatever sound effect you get into the chip player/recorder.<p>Wire the SPEAKER output of this small recorder/player circuit to the AUDIO IN of the amplifier.<p>Wire the amplifier's power section such that the amp receives power whenever the key is forward. Use a "HORN" style speaker like those on a bull horn or PA system. But wire the speaker to the amplifier to one side of a relay using the NORMALLY OPEN contacts. In other words the amplfier will always be on but the speaker will be disconnected by the relay until the coil is energized. <p>Wire the power to the recording chip circuit so it to receives power whenever the key is forward. You can strip this out of a Keychain memo recorder, talking picture frame, or your best bet is to use the digital recording circuit from Radio Shack. See this link:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... d=276-1323<p>If the link does not work, the RS part number is 276-1323. The thing will record 20 seconds of audio and cost $10. It comes prewired ready for whatever project you want to use it in. It is perfect for this application.<p>Connect the output of the recording/playback circuit to the LINE IN of the amplifier above. You can connect the power input to the same power line as the amplifier, using appropriate voltage regulation. Connect the PLAY button of this circuit to another set of NORMALLY OPEN contacts on the same relay. If you do not have a relay with multiple contacts, simply use two relays. <p>Connect the COIL(s) of the relay to the HORN circuit or a extra button you want to use as the electronic horn. So here is what you have:<p>An amp that receives power as long as the key is forward. But the speaker is DISCONNECTED by the relay. This leaves the amplifier on and in a READY state.<p>A digital recording of ANY type of horn you want. If you DL the audio signal from somewhere, you can "loop" the audio effect to make it last longer than 20 seconds. The chip will start playing audio as soon as the relay closes and acts as the PLAY button.<p>When you hit the horn button the relay(s) contacts close and connect the speaker to the amplifier and also start the sound chip to playing.<p>This is a "simple" way to do this. And you will be surprised how EASY this is to do.<p>[ March 25, 2004: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]</p>
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
myp71

Post by myp71 »

Jolly Roger that's a good idea using the voice recorder system.I was just looking under national for this 60w per channel or 120w total.And also an ad came in the mail just today for a power bull horn from harbor freight tools for like $30.00 something dollars which I think is cheap.<p>Also It's not that I do not wanna get caught with a siren it just that you need a letterhead to buy one at all the places I have seen, even at the local police action.If you can think of a way to get one somehow I'll just disconnect the siren feature.<p>Jwax I didn't forget about you it's just a little more than I wanted to spend.<p>Thanks for the help
myp71

Post by myp71 »

Ok I went to a website where I can drool over the crown vics he had equiment for sale for I asked if he knew of a place to get the electronic airhorn without the siren well come to find out it is a lot of $$$ close to $150.00 with no speaker and no returns because it's a special order :( <p>
Would you think that I could get the sound off the internet? like this link? For the Jolly Roger Idea?<p>http://www.galls.com/wav/WhelenAirHorn.wav<p>Watch that speaker volume!! :eek: <p>
Thanks
myp71

Post by myp71 »

Ok I'm finally going to try this out now that I have some money.<p>That store has the bullhorn on sell again $20.00 and the best part about it runs off of 12vdc! :) <p>I know I going to have some questions so please stick around :D :D <p>
And thanks again Jolly Roger :cool: :cool: <p>
Ryan
Tparker

Post by Tparker »

I assume this is more than you want to spend but you can buy a Whelen 100 watt Air Horn and PA system (without siren) at www.strobesnmore.com . Click on sirens and then scroll down to the Whelen air horn.
Tparker

Post by Tparker »

If you do decide to go with a solid state recorder, this website has various horn sound samples available for the horns they produce that are downloadable. http://www.kahlenberg.com/sound.html