help with LCD interfacing !!!!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
joezane

help with LCD interfacing !!!!

Post by joezane »

hi.
i need help for an art project i've been working on.
i have several 256X128 lcds with sed1330 controllers i picked up for cheap.
i want to use them to display graphics triggered by sensors (probably IR).
i've gotten them to display text and grafix using compsys GlicPic controller, but i don't know
a) how to run my code own that micro
b) how to hook sensors up it
(i'm just not that familar with that setup)<p>i also several basic stamp2 boards laying around from previous projects, but i can't get the lcds to display anything with the stamp.<p>if anyone can lend a hand i would be ETERNALLY grateful !!!<p>going crazy,
joe
:confused:
chessman

Re: help with LCD interfacing !!!!

Post by chessman »

I've noticed the link below, and found it a really interesting article:<p>http://www.e-insite.net/ednmag/archives ... di.htm#PIC plots pixels<p>The part about displaying sensor data:
First you need to decide what your graph is going to represent, assuming it will be a graph. You need to figure out your dependant variable and your independant variable.
Your independant variable will be the x-axis value and the dependant variable is the y-axis. Ex: Time vs. Distance from sensor.<p>You need to think about how many sensors will be represented on the LCD, and what kind of data they will gather. Possible choices could be infrared, ultrasonics, hall effect sensors, pressure sensors, touch sensors, or a combination of all of those. Choosing the right sensor is a question of what you want to measure.
For proximity, I would say use IR. Range: sonar (ultrasonics). The others are self-explanitory.<p> For IR and ultrasonics, you will need an oscillator ciruit that will generate a 40kHz signal. This can be done with a 555, and connected to an I/O line of the PIC for on/off control.<p>Hopefully this helps a little, time to hand the reigns to someone more experienced.<p>~Kyle<p>[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: chessman ]<p>[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: chessman ]</p>
joezane

Post by joezane »

thanks for the speedy reply.
i suppose i should more specific about the project so that i can get more directed help.<p>i started out playing with these screens.
i realized i could get interesting random patterns diplayed on them just by blasting the pwr and gnd pins w/ way more voltage then they are designed to take (around 12v instead of the 5v max)
it was kinda nice. look here:<p>lcd screens<p>the problem was, although this is interesting...it is a bit boring.
so i want to make them more interesting by playing with the interactivity.<p>i'm think of using to 2 IR sensors to create visuals.
this could be anything from moving a circle around the lcd. (say IR1 determines X and IR2 determines Y)
or simply using the sensors to trigger random images.<p>the glicpic works great at getting images on the lcd. but as far as making them interactive...i'm stumped.<p>thats why i'm turning to the basic stamp.<p>i can't get any images to display.
i think this is due to either
1. improper contrast control (i'm using -12v running through a 10k pot)
2. improper intializing of the screen with pbasic
3. some combo of the 2<p>again...any help will be GREATLY appreciated.<p>has anyone had any experience with these lcds? and basic stamps? or glipic?
done a similar project?
got any ideas of an easier or more effective way to do this?<p>i'm stumped.
:confused: <p>joe
chessman

Post by chessman »

Okay that adds some clarity, thanks.<p>I will definetly be able to help you out.
I have a couple bs2 routines that will initialize and display graphics on the LCD you have, feel free to email me.<p>The required connections for your LCD are:
LCD Pin BS2 Level Function
-----------------------------------
Pin 01 FG Pin 0V Frame Ground
Pin 02 Vss Pin 0V Ground
Pin 03 Vdd Pin +5V Power Supply voltage for logic and LCD (ABS.MAX 7V)<p>Pin 04 Vo Pin -20V Operating voltage for LCD (Connect to -20V) Use Pot. Cont.<p>Pin 05 /RES Pin H Reset Signal
Pin 06 /RD Pin H Read Signal
Pin 07 /WR Pin9 H/L Write Signal
Pin 08 /CS Pin L Chip Select
Pin 09 A0 Pin8 H/L Data type Select Signal
Pin 10 DB0 Pin0 H/L Display Bit #0
Pin 11 DB1 Pin1 H/L Display Bit #1
Pin 12 DB2 Pin2 H/L Display Bit #2
Pin 13 DB3 Pin3 H/L Display Bit #3
Pin 14 DB4 Pin4 H/L Display Bit #4
Pin 15 DB5 Pin5 H/L Display Bit #5
Pin 16 DB6 Pin6 H/L Display Bit #6
Pin 17 DB7 Pin7 H/L Display Bit #7<p>If you are completely stuck on using the STAMP, then the routine I have can be dropped right in. Right now it has provisions for reading an EEPROM data string and displaying it on the LCD.<p>It can easliy be modified to display anything, and I think a cool thing would be a x-y plot of the two IR detectors against each other. Then you could have it leave the plotted pixels there.... It could even be made to have a thick line move around with the new data, and gradually get thinner as the old data fades from the display. To ease the mind, a sensitivity control could be added to change the rate the data is displayed.<p>Gotta run....class calls
~Kyle
joezane

Post by joezane »

still no luck with this thing! :(
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

I hate to say this but "blasting it with 12v instead of 5". Are you sure that your display is still well enough to work?<p>I would have expected it to have curled its toes up.<p>
Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
joezane

Post by joezane »

fine and dandy actually.<p>i have a few of those displays. and they all work with the glipic.
i just can't get them going with a basic stamp.
joezane

Post by joezane »

ok.
one last plea..... :roll: <p>
has anybody had any experience with using serialgrafix serial lcd interface and the basic stamp2?
chessman

Post by chessman »

Did the code I sent you not work? I've tried it before and it should work perfectly...did you connect everything as it says in the start of the code?<p>Which version of the STAMP are you using? what I sent you is for the bs2...it might have to be ported to the version you have.<p>~Kyle
joezane

Post by joezane »

i'm using a basic stamp 2
i did hook up everything as stated in the code.
but i got nothing! :confused: <p>i'm thinking that my problem is in the Vo.
how did you generate the -v for the contrast?
chessman

Post by chessman »

I used a bench power supply and set it to the -20V I needed, and then used a pot to adjust the contrast.<p> It's a really low current signal, so I guess you could just use a -24V power supply and run that through a pot wired as a rheostat, messy, but it's a fast and cheap way.
joezane

Post by joezane »

thanks for helping.
i'll give it another try.
it would be very nice to get this working!<p>although i may still get the serialgrafix rig....<p>i need to display graphics on these things, from going through the code you sent me, it looks like it just does text correct?<p>although, at this point, i'd be happy with anything!