need pic programming help

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jrob709

need pic programming help

Post by jrob709 »

i'm using the epic programmer from melabs.com and picbasic also from melabs.com<p>i keep getting programming error at "0000" and i don't know why.<p>the troubleshooting guide says i have a power supply problem but my supply is 16Vdc at 900mA.<p>i have tried a couple different parallel cables, downloaded the regestry fix for windows xp and adjusted the progtime and erasetime values in the epic.ini file.<p>nothing has worked<p>i've had this for several months and have yet to program a single device.<p>can somebody help ??<p>
thanks
bodgy

Re: need pic programming help

Post by bodgy »

I haven't used the Epic, but several things may cause the error you're seeing.<p>You don't mention which part# you're trying to program.<p>1. The voltage rise time is not fast enough (try a different plug pack)<p>2. LVP on the Pic isn't held at ground.<p>3. The programing firmware/software is not raising Vpp, Vdd in the correct order for the part you are using.<p>Have you measured the voltages put out by the EPIC? The Pic uses very little current in programming mode, but the Vpp must be around the 13v mark.<p>Is the Pic in circuit whilst programming or in the programmers socket?<p>Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
jrob709

Post by jrob709 »

I'm using the 12F629.<p>I did check my power supply and it puts out 20vdc even though it says 16vdc on it.<p>I'm trying to program the PIC while it is on the epic board and not in circuit.
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

I had a similar problem with a JDM type programmer, but only on certain computers. The solution was to change the I/O delay in the hardware settings part of the software. Slowing it down a little cleared this right up. Unfortunately, the Epic is not on the list of programmers supported by this software.