Audio into phone line

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
ModRob

Audio into phone line

Post by ModRob »

I'd like to take a stereo output and input it into a phone line so the person on the other end can hear the audio...<p>Any help would be appreciated.
Tim
Dean Huster

Re: Audio into phone line

Post by Dean Huster »

Sounds like something that ham radio operators have been doing for eons. Check out any edition of the "Radio Amateurs Handbook" from the ARRL for more information on interfacing to the phone line with audio equipment.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
cato

Post by cato »

By the way, as you are flipping through the Handbook (or Googling for that matter), you should be looking for articles and information related to --PHONE PATCHES--. <p>These are the devices that let Radar and Sparky patch Hawkeye through to Adam's Rib in Chicago so Hawkeye could place his take out order, including extra sauce.<p>Of course, if you're hoping to get both sterio channels through the phone line or hoping to maintain high fidelity, you're gonna have your work cut out for ya....
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Check an earlier post here:<p>http://206.131.241.58/ubbcgi/ultimatebb ... =000459&p=<p>Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
ModRob

Post by ModRob »

Miguel: I went to the earlier posting, but it's a little confusing to me...in the opening statment, you mention several items. I'm not following if I need one of them or a combination of them...<p>Thanks guys...I'll do that research that you mentioned..
Tim
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi Tim.<p>If you mean this : "Find any type of small transformer, a transistor radio output stage one, or a driver, or a small AC power adapter one."<p>Is exactly that: You need ONE and only one transformer of any of these.<p>Have you seen those about ½" x ½" x ½" miniature transformers in the output stage of an old dead transistor radio ? -Usually blue or red- That will work fine.<p>What is important is the winding to be inserted in SERIES to ONE of the telco wires should be about less than 10 ohms. Measure with your meter.<p>Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
ModRob

Post by ModRob »

Hey thanks Miguel! Now I understand. I'll be giving this a try soon...
Tim
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

If you want them to hear the music when they are on hold, this is very easy.. <p>Just plug in any audio source such as a Radio, CD player, PC, etc. <p>http://www.music-on-hold.net/<p>Hope this helped!
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
ModRob

Post by ModRob »

Webguy:
Very interesting product! For 59 bucks, may be the easiest way to go, although that would rule out the "hardheaded, have to do it my way" factor that is my usual character...sometimes takes the fun away from it...
Tim
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

You should read Tommy Volts' Telephone Interface thread in this forum. I just got a little long winded over there. But, what applies to listening to a phone line also applies to putting in a signal.<p>To combine stereo to mono you'll need two resistors, so one channel doesn't drive the other.
Dale Y