LCD Displays

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jollyrgr

LCD Displays

Post by jollyrgr »

A friend wants to build an "all in one" computer of sorts in a "custom" made case. He wants an "open frame" VGA screen in the 17" size (or larger). Not the normal "desktop" display; the open frame "guts" of an LCD display. The specs; VGA, 17", 12 volt supply.<p>I thought this would be simple to find but the only thing I see is the ready-made displays for a desk or proprietary laptop device. I found a few but they are only five or six inches across. He wants something bigger. Any ideas?
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
haklesup

Re: LCD Displays

Post by haklesup »

Why not just buy a generic LCD monitor for desktop use and remove the case.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi !
Distributors for bare 17" VGA LCD displays charge twice the amount of a monitor of same size at the computer store. And circuitry must be added to make those work...I will never get the logic... Chances are buying a complete monitor and getting rid of the pedestal/enclosure is the best way to go.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

The generic monitor was what he was going to do at first. But figured that there would be some sort of huge discount for going with something from the surplus market. See this example of a PEN TABLET:
http://www.halted.com/store/product115.html<p>I've seen LCD monitors before on surplus, just not lately. He asked if I knew of any monitors that were already stripped, ran on twelve volts, and were of somewhat large sized. Places like All Electronics, Halted, etc. do carry these types of things and I've even bought brand name mother boards from these vendors. I was hoping to find the same type of deal in an LCD for him. Oh well....
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

TFT LCD displays are in HUGE demand right now. I doubt that you would find many (if any) on the surplus market for long in any condition especially one as large as 17". Even a laptop with a (large, expensive) 17" screen would probably be worth fixing rather than scrapping. Don't bother looking in catalogs or websites, call the stores directly to check transient stock.<p>However, you may just be able to find a non functional laptop (on ebay or something)and pull the display but I think the VGA connection might be a lot harder to interface to than with a standard external monitor. There should be lots of 14" screens out there.<p>The higher cost of the bare frame displays are probably due to the much lower volume (to the consumer and small volume OEM markets) and the additioanl support the vendors may need to supply for proper integration into a system.<p>You can always try talking to a sales rep for an importer and asking for a sample so that you can see if it is suitable for the design your "company" is considering for mass market. If not free, they may have a decent sample price.<p>One final thought is remanufactured or factory defects. COntact LCD distributors or retailers directly and ask if they have any monitors that were returned for cosmetic problems with the cases like cracks or scratches. They may be willing to cut a deal.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi Jolly.
Give the mother lode a try, they may have something of interest :
http://store.earthlcd.com/
I have a couple of Pen input LCD's about 5" with no need or use for them if you want them at ~postage price. Come attached to the whole point-of-sale device ; you can find laptop displays at a dime a dozen canibalized from defunct equipment, but very complex to put to work.
Miguel<p>[ March 17, 2004: Message edited by: Externet ]</p>
High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

E-bay Listing has one here. It's an 18" but also 12v.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

EXTERNET >>> what do you meanby pin input?
i might be interested in one of them monitors..
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi dacflyer.
It's not pin input. It's stylus or (inkless) PEN input. The display has an overlay that senses stylus position as for signature capture on a point-of-sale terminal or as command/data entry in palmtop computers and PDAs.
Miguel
naljta

Post by naljta »

Externet,
I would be interested in getting one of those displays from you. If you are still willing to let some of the go email me and we can work out the details.<p>Nevin,
[email protected]
myp71

Post by myp71 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Externet:
Hi dacflyer.
It's not pin input. It's stylus or (inkless) PEN input. The display has an overlay that senses stylus position as for signature capture on a point-of-sale terminal or as command/data entry in palmtop computers and PDAs.
Miguel
<hr></blockquote><p>Kinda like the credit card readers where you use the pen to sign you name?? Like at lowe's or target, mervyn's, and UPS. after signing for a package :D Where it messes up your name to where you can't read it :roll: