The Magic Box Kit

Get help with your Nuts & Volts projects or Kits purchased from Nuts & Volts here.
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

The Magic Box Kit

Post by Michael Kaudze »

Post your comments, suggestions, or questions about the Magic Box Kit here.

This unique DIY construction project blends electronics technology with carefully planned handcraftsmanship. Its delightful innovation will surely amuse you. More importantly though, it bewilders, baffles, and mystifies those observing this subtle magic trick.

More Info. in our April 2007 issue

Includes an article reprint.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
tinker000

What Items are supposed to come with the kit?

Post by tinker000 »

I just purchased a kit and I received a CD in the kit which is not recognized by my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy :?
Bigglez

Re: What Items are supposed to come with the kit?

Post by Bigglez »

tinker000 wrote:I just purchased a kit and I received a CD in the kit which is not recognized by my computer.
First step would be to know if the CD disk is not
recognized, or if the files on the CD are not recognized.

Does the PC and CD drive identify other data CDs?
tinker000

Post by tinker000 »

It is the disk which is not recognized by my WIN2k computer. The disk however works fine on my Vista Computer. so now I Know what's on the cd. It's The pictures of the kit being put together in COLOR Thanks
jpmcginley

Re: The Magic Box Kit

Post by jpmcginley »

The instructions were "OK", however the parts list that jumpers be installed at R20 & R21. This is for the 4 pawn version. I had the jumpers on at first and got 4 flashes.
Then all of a sudden...nothing. I am getting pulses out of the timer, but the copy of schematic is not real clear. I am not getting pulses to the base of Q2 and the LED is doing nada. :/ HELP PLEASE. If someone has a good copy of schematic. please post, or send a link. Thanks
Thanks
jpmcginley

Fixed...The Magic Box Kit

Post by jpmcginley »

I found that Q1 in the output circuit had failed. Got good pulses to the base lead with not transistor. Replaced and it works fine. The shock is a bit much for my 10 y/o :shock:
LRHGuy

Re: The Magic Box Kit

Post by LRHGuy »

Has anyone recently built this kit? I just finished, but am I bit disappointed.

Electronically, it works great. All the pulses and flashes, etc are right on.

The problem is the BOX itself. The LED hole doesn't line up. And the lid will not close with the pawns in place.

Compared to the pictures, the wood panel, with the six pawn holes in it, seems to be sitting in the right place, flush or so with the top of the box edges (with the box open, as in the pictures). This panel is slightly bowed, but that is not an issue. The pawns will not let the lid close all the way. Forcing it shows that the bottom of the box will pop out. I've tried re-seating it and checking placement, making sure it's sitting on the cradle properly, the there's just not enough room. (Also, the panel was not stained, was it supposed to be? This panel also split it's edges when screwed into, not hard enough wood?)

The LED hold in the box seems to be drilled at a slight angle, but I see nothing about this in the instructions.

Am I missing something? Or am I expecting too much from a kit?

Thanks for any help.