Ideas needed: LED/LCD Digital Display Counter

Get help with your Nuts & Volts projects or Kits purchased from Nuts & Volts here.
Harlan

Ideas needed: LED/LCD Digital Display Counter

Post by Harlan »

Hi,
First time posting.
I am looking for a fairly large (6-8 or 10-12 inch high) LED, two digit, digital display which could be changed by using perhaps one button to increase (by 1 at a time) and one button to decrease the displayed value... ie 00 to 99.

This is to be in an office area where they are serving the public. Most of you have been where there is a service counter and you need to "take a number" to secure your place in line. Often they will have a "Number Being Served" display to show you where you are in line.

Well our application would be to enable the employees (they can see the display from a distance at their desks) to view how many people are currently waiting to be seen.... if there are not so many, the employee can afford to give them a bit more time if needed or if very busy, will have to keep the visit as brief as possilbe.

Right now they are using an old mechanical flip-number type display which is a rather awkward (and not too "State-of-the-Art method) way to do it. An employee is continually jumping up from their desk (interrupting their work and time) to change the sign.

Another feature would be the ability to make the display "Flash" on and off at an adjustable rate, if desired, to add some urgency it the waiting time is getting too long.

I would like to just learn what the circuit design could be and what components are needed and I could construct it myself.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated!
Thanks and best regards,
Harlan
VernGraner

Re: Ideas needed: LED/LCD Digital Display Counter

Post by VernGraner »

Harlan wrote:I am looking for a fairly large (6-8 or 10-12 inch high) LED, two digit,
Some quick ideas:

1) Use the seven segment LED kit from Chaney Electronics shown here:

Purchasable here: Decimal Display Kit and don't install the 7-segment LED displays - instead, install a driver chip such as the ULN2007 and then drive a string of LEDs for each segment. Arrange the LEDs in a box with light baffles to make a large 7-segment display.

2) Use something like these 12" high seven segment displays which, though pricey ($50 ea!), solve the issue in a pretty direct fashion and look professional as well:

Available here: 12" seven-segment digits

3) Use the "Peggy" or Peggy 2 board ($75/$100 respectively) to make a 2-digit counter.. and have enough room for more than 2 digits.. maybe even some scrolling text along the bottom. Very versatile:

Available here: Evil Mad Scientist

Hope this helps! :smile:

Vern
--
Vern Graner