Arch-Ball Clock

Get help with your Nuts & Volts projects or Kits purchased from Nuts & Volts here.
Andy411

Arch-Ball Clock

Post by Andy411 »

I am new to the forums and am also new to Nuts and Volts. I recently built the Arch-Ball Clock from the kit and am concerned about the temperature. I could not find any information posted and was hoping someone could put my mind at ease. The clock functions but the temperature of the stepper motors is hovering around 140°F and the 12V regulator is at about 130°F. Is this normal? Is the current going to the motors too high? Not sure how to measure the current without breaking the connection.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Andy
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Re: Arch-Ball Clock

Post by Michael Kaudze »

The voltage regulator has an internal thermal shutdown so if it gets too hot it will shut itself down. It has a maximum junction temperature of 150 degrees Celsius (302 degrees Fahrenheit). Stepper motors are known to run warm. The stepper motor in the parts list has a maximum temperature rise of 80 degrees Celsius or 176 degrees Fahrenheit. This is the maximum increase in motor temperature above ambient that will occur in open air, during continuous operation at maximum running current at low speeds. So 125 degrees Fahrenheit is certainly within the maximum temperature rise rating of the stepper motor. You should be able to run your clock continuously with no problems.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.