Vernitron Transducer for 40hz Branson ultrasonic cleaner?

If you're searching for some elusive part, a long-lost schematic, advice on new or vintage equipment repair or other hard to find electronic information, please post your request here. Of course, if you know answers to these questions, please share your wisdom!
Questor

Vernitron Transducer for 40hz Branson ultrasonic cleaner?

Post by Questor »

I own a Branson B5500R-1 ultrasonic cleaner made in 1989 that needs replacements for qty 4 40w Vernitron Model B54 or 854 ceramic transducers with radial leads. The ceramic transducers are all cracked, 50mm wide 2.5mm thick, and probably rated at 35-40 watts at 40hz.

The problems are:
1.) I cannot find these Vernitron ceramic radial transducers like mine or comparable specs available on the Internet,

2:) Branson Ultrasonics no longer has Transducer parts or detailed parts documentation for the B5500R-1 & can't refer me to a supplier who has any,

3.) the Vernitron company was purchased by Morgan Advanced Materials (www.morganplc.com) and they apparently do not have documentation on these tranducers that may have been customized for Branson and

4.) Other Branson tranducers cannot be be removed from used equipment and transferred to my B5500R-1 because the originals were glued onto the original steel tub and break very easy when removal is attempted.

Does anyone have a Vernitron Model B54 or 854 Transducer product specs info or know where I can obtain suitable transducers as replacements?

Thanks, Steve
Cincinnati, OH
dyarker

Re: Vernitron Transducer for 40hz Branson ultrasonic cleaner

Post by dyarker »

I think he means 40KHz instead of 40Hz which would be subsonic.

Cheers,
Dale Y
Questor

Post by Questor »

Yes, Dyarker...

You are correct Sir. I mistyped 40hz that should have been Khz!

Regards, Steve
jwax

Post by jwax »

Steve- I think you'll find replacing the transducers difficult because of the proprietary adhesives Branson claims to use for attachment of the ceramic to the steel tub.
That energy-coupling joint is what makes the whole transduction effect possible, and getting your hands on the ceramic elements is only half your battle. Bonding them to the tub is crucial for good efficiency, and long life.
Branson will probably sell you the tub with transducers attached, but maybe cost-prohibitive.
Good luck!
John
WA2RBA
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i bought a Ultrasonic bath a few months ago, got it from a flea market for 4.00
the seller thought it was a warming tub for food...lol
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

To recover transducers from a tub, possibly unevenly heating the tub would warp the tub, and that would pop them off.

Thought...
If the bonding adhesive is silver colored, it may be similar to an epoxy I once used for vibration analysis sensors. It bonded a sensor to a metal housing that was attached to motors to measure the out of balance vibrations.

It was said to be filled with fine metallic particles, to enhance vibration transfer. The product came in a single use unmarked 2 part pouch,and unfortunately the manufacturer and supplier are unknown.

Connection Technology Center, Inc.
590 Fishers Station Drive
Victor, New York 14564
Toll Free: (800) 999-5290
Phone: (585) 924-5900
Fax: (585) 924-4680
"TIGA 901 cures at room temperature and can be used as a “cold solder” for heat sensitive components where hot soldering is impractical.” The TIGA 901 was provided in a 2.5 gram burst pack that made for very easy mixing of the two parts. Although the required cure time at room temperature is 24 hours, it has a shore D hardness of 85 and should be excellent for the transmission of vibration."

DIY? Maybe!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Side note:
Maybe mixing fine powered metal, like aluminum, with epoxy like JB Weld would be a solution. I would mix the metal into each component before I blended the two.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
bigsparks

Re: Vernitron Transducer for 40hz Branson ultrasonic cleaner?

Post by bigsparks »

Hi
is this still active ??

sourced a china replacment ..at mo stuck in suaz canal though
will be repairing mine shortly one of the IFR,s gone at mo as well
howardellis

Re: Vernitron Transducer for 40hz Branson ultrasonic cleaner?

Post by howardellis »

Good morning!
I would like to know how long the texture of the adhesives, when attached to the porcelain tub, will be, and what is their maximum age?