Kronos Flyer Series

msimpson

Re: Kronos Flyer Series

Post by msimpson »

The Turnigy motors come with hardware. The hardware includes a prop nut but no spinner.

The NTM motors don't come with hardware. You have to purchase a hardware pack. The hardware pack comes with spinners, but no nut.

The Tiger motors come with hardware, and includes both a nut, and a spinner.

You don’t need spinners. They do nothing but add weight and become another source of possible vibration. On the Tiger motors I use the nut. I then use the spinner as a lock nut.
BoWingo

Post by BoWingo »

So I'm in the process of placing my orders from Hobby King, and I'm noticing something called BuddyPrice Codes. Evidently, I can share these codes with friends and if they purchase the same item(s) within 14 days, they get a discount and I get a partial refund of the same amount. I would assume that they are single-use codes, but I feel like it would be nice to share them as they would benefit both me and another builder.

Since this is your project and your thread, though, I figured I would ask if you have any objection to me posting buddy codes here for someone else to use.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

The links on my web site has affiliate codes. Supposedly I get credit when the links are followed and items purchased. However it has become quite evident that this rarely happens.

In any case, you can share your codes with your friends, but it would be inappropriate to start posting such links and codes on these forums.
msimpson

New motor choice

Post by msimpson »

I just tested the tiger motor with the Kronos Flyer build.

They work perfectly

Links to the US supplier can be found on the Kronos Flyer BOM.
BoWingo

Post by BoWingo »

msimpson wrote:The links on my web site has affiliate codes. Supposedly I get credit when the links are followed and items purchased. However it has become quite evident that this rarely happens.

In any case, you can share your codes with your friends, but it would be inappropriate to start posting such links and codes on these forums.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize that you had affiliate codes associated with your BOM. I added everything to my Hobby King wish list and then ordered from there days later when I was ready. I would have used your links if I realized that it would have helped you. Hopefully this info will encourage others.

As for buddy codes, I just posted them in the appropriate location on Hobby King's forum.
BoWingo

Post by BoWingo »

Ok, so I've been trying to talk myself into the DJI NAZA controller, but I'm going to have to be really sure before I drop that kind of cash on it. Today, though, something interesting happened while Googling. While I was searching for whether the NAZA was worth the money, I came across the ArduPilot Mega 2.5 and a lot of sites comparing the NAZA against the APM2.5. I wanted to ask you if you've ever flown one of your quadcopters with an APM? At first glance, it looks like a slightly cheaper system that is more hackable (which I figure might fit the profile of the typical Servo reader fairly well). On the other hand, the NAZA appears to be very slick, well designed, and easy to use.

Any thoughts?
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

I have not had a chance to try one of these. Just watch out as there are some open source clones. The one you want is on the DIY Drones web site. This one was just released and looks like it might be worth checking out.

Im going to do some research on these for my book so will be purchasing one in the next couple months.

However if you want to fly right out of the box (after building your frame and installing the controller) the NAZA is the way to go. I just designed a add on to the Kronos Flyer Frame that gives you a vibration free camera and transmitter frame. This will allow you to connect a camera and optionaly a transmitter transmit to a ground station I will be working on.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

I just ordered one of the new Adrupilots with GPS. I also ordered the two-way telemetry and OSD module. Better be good because it cost me almost as much as I spent on the NAZA and GPS.

I probably won’t get it working in time for this series of articles, so if there is enough interest, I may do a follow-up article.
BoWingo

Post by BoWingo »

msimpson wrote:I just ordered one of the new Adrupilots with GPS. I also ordered the two-way telemetry and OSD module. Better be good because it cost me almost as much as I spent on the NAZA and GPS.

I probably won’t get it working in time for this series of articles, so if there is enough interest, I may do a follow-up article.
Now that's what I call "customer service". :razz: Haha.
I'm still comparing the two flight controllers, but maybe we can end up learning together if I end up going with the APM. :grin:
BoWingo

Post by BoWingo »

I'm planning on cheaping out on the transmitter. I figured I would rather spend money on a better flight controller than the extra $415 on the Futaba 8FG Super. Is that a waste? I'm already beyond what I budgeted for the project, so I'm not going to be able to upgrade both the transmitter and the flight controller.

By the way, I just pulled out the November issue of Servo again to look at your take on the two transmitters you recommended, and I noticed that there's an eight page writeup on the ArduPilot flight controller starting on page 56.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

As far as the transmitter goes, if you truly are leaning towards robotics, then a 9 channel propably wont do. The 8FG can transmit to two recievers. For a total of 14 channels. The extra channels come in handy when you want to do some addvanced features like camera control. That said the 9X is only $70. Its a good radio for the cost.

In late spring I have a monster wasp nest that I plan on taking out with a quad. (as soon as the nest is active again) I will use a laser pointer and some heavy duty servos to spray hornet spray at the nest with the quad about 1 foot away from the nest. I will have all kinds of cameras setup as well as two onboard cameras. It will be interesting to see what the hornets do to the quad.
BoWingo

Post by BoWingo »

msimpson wrote:As far as the transmitter goes, if you truly are leaning towards robotics, then a 9 channel propably wont do. The 8FG can transmit to two recievers. For a total of 14 channels. The extra channels come in handy when you want to do some addvanced features like camera control. That said the 9X is only $70. Its a good radio for the cost.

In late spring I have a monster wasp nest that I plan on taking out with a quad. (as soon as the nest is active again) I will use a laser pointer and some heavy duty servos to spray hornet spray at the nest with the quad about 1 foot away from the nest. I will have all kinds of cameras setup as well as two onboard cameras. It will be interesting to see what the hornets do to the quad.
Wow. Looking forward to that video! :shock:

Yeah. I think, for $70, I'll go with the 9X for now. If I decide later that I need the upgrade, I'll do it at that time. For me, that's a better approach than going with the $480 transmitter when I might never end up using the extra functionality.

HobbyKing posted some photos on their Facebook just the other day of the Turnigy 9XR, which is supposedly going to take care of some of the most common upgrades that people do to their 9X's and offer a little easier hacking of the transmitter (for example, running third-party firmware). Since the 9X is currently out of stock, as far as my shopping list is concerned, it's basically a race to see whether they get the 9X back in stock or release the 9XR. We'll see.

If you don't mind, what exactly did you order in the telemetry and OSD department when you placed your APM order? What is telemetry all about, and why do I suddenly feel like it's something I need? :razz:
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

This is the APM unit I ordered.
http://store.diydrones.com/APM_2_5_Asse ... mpwrkt.htm

This is the telemetry radio.
http://store.diydrones.com/3DR_RadioTel ... 3dr915.htm

This is the OSD module.
http://store.diydrones.com/Ardupilot_Me ... minosd.htm

The main problem with the Ardrupilot is the documentation. ITs the same with all opensource hardware and software. Theres lots to read but its in no step by step easy to follow guides. You could probably fill a book with quality Adrupilot information. Hey, thats an idea.

My first book was going to be a book on building various Quad, and Hex craft. The second was going to be on UAV, FPV, AP.

Im still in the research phase.
BoWingo

Post by BoWingo »

Thanks for the links. Looks like you might have gotten the last 915 MHz telemetry kit as it's currently out of stock.

So my research on telemetry has yielded the following: it basically offers a two-way data communication between the aircraft and some ground module. The ground module could be as complex as a laptop controlling the aircraft or as simple as an LCD display that gives you some small amount of data on the current status of the aircraft. Is this correct? For the photos that I've seen where the user is controlling and observing the aircraft's status and video feed from a laptop does the telemetry module also provide the wireless video link or would that be yet another module?

Since the 915MHz kit is out of stock, is there a downside to the 433MHz kit? (Something I read seemed to indicate that it was not intended for the US market?)
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

There was an error on the site. All the items were in stock. I should get them before Xmas.

The OSD is used to place GPS and battery info (Data from APM) overlaid on camera data. It can also be transmitted via the Telemetry link but you don’t need the OSD for that. Its the data that’s used to fly the craft in first person mode.

You will have several ways to control the craft:
1. Line of Site (Required)
2. FPV
3. By Wire with Telemetry
4. Robotic Mode With and Without Telemetry
5. Combinations of any of the above

The telemetry link is two-way so you can use a joystick to control your craft.