Nuts and Volts - Build a Gain Controller January 2012 issue.

tidbit

Nuts and Volts - Build a Gain Controller January 2012 issue.

Post by tidbit »

I am very interested in building this project, the article said that the foil pattern was downloadable but I can't seem to find it. Any clues? Also there is a variable resistor mis marked on the figure 8 on page 31 - figure indicates pots R-10 and R-11 should be R-9 and R-10. Are the items in the parts list available as a kit??

tidbit
gray5596

Re: Nuts and Volts - Build a Gain Controller January 2012 is

Post by gray5596 »

I was also interested in building the gain controller, but I ran into the same problem, couldn't find out how to download the foil pattern for the circuit board. Anybody know where this is located? Thanks in advance for any help you might give.
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

Did you guys download the zip file from the downloads section?

http://www.nutsvolts.com/media-files/Ga ... roller.zip
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Go to nutsvolts.com, hover over Magazine and then click on Downloads. Currently, the PCB link is
at the top of the list. You can either click the name of the article or click the download link. If you
click the article, you will need to take the extra step of then clicking the download link. The file is
zipped, so you'll have to "unpack" it once you have it.

I have an observation about the audio in HD setups, specifically that which comes through the HDMI
cable. In my setup, and others I have seen, there are peripherals connected to the TV through other
inputs, ie., AV, antenna (coax), DVI/VGA audio, component video/audio, etc., and in all cases that I
have personally observed, the HDMI audio is greatly reduced as compared to the other others. It is
so reduced that when the TV's speakers are used, it can be hard to hear when doing other tasks that
involve making everyday "sounds " - cooking, cleaning, etc. Even cranked through external sound
processing it can be extremely reduced, so much so that you have to tell the perennial "gabber" to
shut their yap so you can hear what was just said. Most times the TV is cranked to 100% to hear
things clearly. By contrast, the other inputs work well at between 33% to 50%. It is so bad that I
want to add a preamp before the outboard 5.1 amp so that I don't have to crank it up all the time.
Of course it would need an auto-sense level bypass to keep it from "preamping" the other sources...

That being said, is the HDMI audio so greatly reduced because of the greater dynamic range or is it
just because the levels are kept low? This inquiring mind wants to know.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
tidbit

Post by tidbit »

tidbit wrote:I am very interested in building this project, the article said that the foil pattern was downloadable but I can't seem to find it. Any clues? Also there is a variable resistor mis marked on the figure 8 on page 31 - figure indicates pots R-10 and R-11 should be R-9 and R-10. Are the items in the parts list available as a kit??

tidbit
Thanks for the help in the download. It came right up and looks good.
My question stands about the mix up of resistor or pot numbers. Are they miss marked in the article or on the drawing and which one is which?
Also is this available in KIT form?

tidbit
gray5596

Post by gray5596 »

Thanks for the help, I was able to download the files easily.