multisim

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mikezx

multisim

Post by mikezx »

Anybody use Electronics Workbench? I have the 2001 student version and my question is this. When I place a current controlled voltage source in a circuit, the controlling current acts in reverse as to what I would expect it to. In other words, if the direction of my current supply is pointing in the same direction as my current controlled source, then if I put a meter on the voltage output, I will get a negative number. It doesn't work this way with any other dependent source, just the current controlled voltage. It's baking my noodle.
russlk

Re: multisim

Post by russlk »

It has been a long time since I used Electronic Workbench, I am using ISPICE by Intusoft. Here is why I think your voltage is negative: Positive current in a resistor flows from + to -, the current in the source flows from - to +, therefore it is negative. The current controlled voltage source has to have a voltage source as the current sensing element. If you use a zero voltage source placed such that the current flows from + to - thru it, the controlled voltage source output will be positive.
ian

Re: multisim

Post by ian »

I'v heard bad things about electronic worbench. Be careful if you are deciding on purchasing the full blown version. I think they limit the number of "pads" you can place on various versions. This they don't publicize much.
ian