Spice Question

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
camino75080

Spice Question

Post by camino75080 »

Does anyone know if it is possible model NI-Chrome wire in spice?
Chris Smith

Re: Spice Question

Post by Chris Smith »

If you can do copper wire, then yes?
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

What aspects of Nichrome do you want to model?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

For low current and used as an interconnect, use a plain resistor model. For higher current used as a heating element it would have to be a resistor that takes into account self heating and temperature coefficient.<p>I is a function of R and V, R is a function of Temp, Temp is a function of I, R (and round and round we go)<p>I googled a few minuteds on "Spice model resistor" and came up with a few links. One for a thermistor seemed close. It had a negative temp coefficient but you would need a positive one (resistance goes up as it gets hotter). I couldn't find one right on but I didn't spend all that much time either. Search for models you can use or modify with your own parameters.<p>I also saw some models for tubes which included models for the Heater while searching "spice model heater" Could probably pinch that part of the model for your purposes.<p>All depends on how accurately you are trying to model your circuit and what behavior you are looking for.<p>[ August 04, 2004: Message edited by: haklesup ]</p>