LCD Display Connection?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dave8976

LCD Display Connection?

Post by dave8976 »

The other day while repairing a metronome, I noticed that the LCD display was connected to the PC board via flexable sponge like strip material. It was grey on both sides and ablack strip in the middle. It was positioned between the LCD glass and several contact points on the PCB. I am wonder what is it and how does it operate. Does any one have any experience using this type of connection for LCD displays. I have not come accress any article describing it or showing how it is used in electronic display projects. Any ideas?
Externet

Re: LCD Display Connection?

Post by Externet »

Hello Dave.
It is called zebra connector, is made of multiple conductive rubber strands, very close to each other, and provides resiliency, soft contact and shock absorption between conductive glass traces to the pcb traces. The alignmmennt is not critical as one or more of the strands will be able to touch the pads. Get a good magnifying glass and take a peek.<p>Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
dave8976

Re: LCD Display Connection?

Post by dave8976 »

Thank you for the information. I will take a closer look.