Speed Control for Universal Motor

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
probus

Speed Control for Universal Motor

Post by probus »

Are there any good plans for a speed controller for a universal motor? I've seen a lot for PMDC motors, but not a whole lot on universal motors. Specifically, I'm looking at controlling a router motor to bring the rpm's down from the typical 25,000 to around 8,000. Soft-start would be a plus, but not necessary. Also, I have a portable bandsaw that has a univeral motor I'd like to slow down for cutting metal. The range would not have to be as wide for the bandsaw.<p>TIA,
Paul
dacflyer

Re: Speed Control for Universal Motor

Post by dacflyer »

you could try this,,
a celing fan speed control,, they handle about 6amps or so, and they look like a dimmer for a light,, most hardwhaer sells them,, just make sure you ask for a celing fan speed controller,, and not a dimmer.. hope this helps you,,
Chris Smith

Re: Speed Control for Universal Motor

Post by Chris Smith »

I use a variac on a lot of motors. This doesnt work well with some AC motors very well but your router should work fine. I use it for Dremels, Vaccum motors, Swamp coolers and a lot of other motors. Cap start/balanced motors dont slow down much at around 10 or 20 percent and then they stop. Its also usefull for just about everything else like large soldering Irons, heat lamps, etc.