telephone block for outgoing calls

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
maddawg

telephone block for outgoing calls

Post by maddawg »

I remember reading an article about building a phone line monitor that will block outgoing calls to a specific number or area code. I believe it was in NUTS AND VOLTS or ELECTRONICS ILLUSTRATED.I would like to build one of these devices. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
cr4west

Re: telephone block for outgoing calls

Post by cr4west »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by maddawg:
I remember reading an article about building a phone line monitor that will block outgoing calls to a specific number or area code. I believe it was in NUTS AND VOLTS or ELECTRONICS ILLUSTRATED.I would like to build one of these devices. Any suggestions would be appreciated.<hr></blockquote>
If you want to bypass the buiding process, really all you require is a device used by the telecomm industry called a "dialer".
Your time will be spend programming instead of building. Dialers are used extensively where phones are used by the general public, a good example are those hotel and rental car hot line phones seen in airport lobbies.
The dialer is installed upstream of all the telephones in your home using a RJ-45 jack available at you local electrical supply store. Modern dialer versions are small and powered by the telephone line. You simply program the dialer to react to the area codes and numbers that are of concern. These can be handled in a variety of ways, blocked, routed to a different number etc. I use a product listed at the following page:<p>hy-tek dialer product web page<p>[ May 27, 2002: Message edited by: cr4west ]</p>