physics ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cato

Re: physics ?

Post by cato »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dribach:
as several people here had mentioned and several people (in some cases the same ones!) had failed to keep in mind, if the ice cube is traveling in a vacuum, it will NEVER melt.<hr></blockquote><p>
Hey!...I kept it in mind (I said "might" didn't I?). I just didn't put in in writing. :-)<p>anyway:<p>Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.<p> -- Robert Frost
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

Assuming your original idea, and the preceding posts, the inertia AND the negative thermal energy of the ice are mechanical and heat. Adding heat to melt the ice ( say, in a microwave oven in a vacuum) INcreases the net kinetic energy. The vapor would now need to be decelerated (adding a reverse vector to the inertia). Is it a theory question, or are you thinking of stopping a metal or particle projectile ? There would be a world of difference, because water is less affected by electro-magnetic forces.
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
dribach

Post by dribach »

hehe as you can see, rick, i got the spanking right back. :)
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Acording to the State Phase Diagram for Water Liquid water does indeed not exist when the pressure is 0. see the lower left corner of the diagram.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

All other assumptions aside, water melts into a liquid, before it vaporises. Even if its a molecule by molecule layer of liquid, before it disapates.
Dimbulb

Post by Dimbulb »

I think the bond angle in liquid water H^H should tighten while as it approaches steam. The surfaces between H2O molecules are weaker and become more distant. The contracting trilobal entities on the surface would be tighter and more pronounced at so thermal conductivity exchanges exo away from the cold center.
ampedtech

Post by ampedtech »

I can’t help it, I feel compelled to make a contribution here. This is for all of you that don’t know physics, but it’s also for all of you that do!<p>Take a LARGE tumbler fill it with really cold ice pour your favorite liquor over the ice until the glass is almost completely full. Now drink the entire glass. Repeat this process till true understanding invades.
:p :p :p :p :p :eek: