Eccentric Fly wheel

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
keymaker

Eccentric Fly wheel

Post by keymaker »

Ok I am confused here I can't find an eccentric flywheel<p>Where can I find a good eccentric flywheel / motor combination??<p>Also, I think I can make the box out of a 5 gallon bucket... <p>
Basically, I need it to have a vibrating pole going up sticking out the top of the bucked so I can put an "accessory" over it and make it vibrate<p> <p>
I can't afford a real one like this to take apart and study http://sybian.com/images/BlackSybian+Attachments.jpg<p>But from this pic you get the idea... I need details on how to build it.<p>
I want to build that one, for women.. I don't want to build the polisher one
josmith

Re: Eccentric Fly wheel

Post by josmith »

I used the bucket to puke in.<p>We don't need to see anything like that on this forum.
JdOwNj

Post by JdOwNj »

SMUT... S hit head! keep that crap outa here!
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

I am trying to build something <p> Sorry if I offended you I thought you all saw it already on the other thread
toejam

Post by toejam »

I think you should stay away from any area of manufacturing that could possibly threaten a woman's health. Your lack of knowledge is apparent and could prove dangerous. You have no knowledge of possable toxic reactions to materials saftey or any other thing that I can percieve from any of your postings. Go back to high school, than if you can graduate, Take up engineering.
toejam

Post by toejam »

sorry about being so harsh, but if you start getting into stuff that can be harmful to others you must remember the time old adage "a litle knowledge can be a dangerous thing" again,I apolagise.
tj
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

I think you should stay away from any area of manufacturing that could possibly threaten a woman's health. Your lack of knowledge is apparent and could prove dangerous. You have no knowledge of possable toxic reactions to materials saftey or any other thing that I can percieve from any of your postings. Go back to high school, than if you can graduate, Take up engineering. <p>
If I run the motor on 12 volts, it should be nice and safe... And if I use attachments made by popular companies...
The safety risk will be greatly reduced.<p> I am doing my best to make sure it's safe. I don't know electronics very well and that's why I am here, to learn<p>Personally, I think your comments are unnecessary.... Critisizm is one thing, being a ($&Y@ is a whole different ballgame there kemosabeeee<p>And you spelled possible wrong... Go back to gradeschool, and if you can make 1st grade, Take up being an &#()(@# on public forums<p> :p
toejam

Post by toejam »

Using the word critisizm in a statement that is criticizing someone's spelling might be taken as an oxymoran.I apologized already.
Gary

Post by Gary »

I thought the Puritains died out!<p>Let's keep to the mechanical and electrical stuff if we can. An eccentric flywheel is just a flywheel mounted "off-center".<p>The size and weight of the weight affects the amount of motion. Years ago I got a little motor at of all places, an army surplus store. It was one of those cheap little motors made out of tin and used in little battery operated toys, the whole thing about an inch or so accross and the motor was held together with little tabs of bent sheet metal. It came with a flywheel cut from a piece of steel rod, maybe a half inch in diameter, and a half inch long. The motor shaft was pressed into a hole, near the edge of the rod and a dimple kept it from coming off.<p>If you see the message icon above with the winking eye, imagine the motor shaft stuck into the eye socket, and you get the idea.<p>You won't FIND an eccentric flywheel by searching. You have to make one.<p>Of course, you'll need a good humored woman to help you with the experimentation to see what works and what doesn't. THAT'S the hard part...<p>[ May 22, 2002: Message edited by: Gary ]</p>
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

See now Gary is a real man. Not embarassed or offended, Because he sees I need help with the actual workings of the machine.. I aint here to talk trash or offend anyone, I am seeking assistance.. Imagine a doctor who acts clinical when some lady comes in for a mammogram. That's how yall need to be. <p>I don't yet understand how the eccentric flywheel creates the vibrations, I am trying.. It's very difficult when you can't buy the parts, if they have to be made, I won't be able to easily mass produce these...<p> :confused:
Gary

Post by Gary »

You're making me blush.<p>Some ideas: Think of an unbalanced load in a washing machine. With most of the clothes on one side of the drum it wobbles and the whole machine vibrates. See if you can find an old pager or get a junk one from a repair shop or electronics store if you can. Try taking it apart and remove the motor and try connecting it to the battery and see how it works. Try gluing things to the weight to make it even more unbalanced. Play with the speed of the motor.<p>We can talk about springs and directed motion later after you get the basics.<p>I wish there was a modern digital version of the "mechanical alphabet". Hundreds of years ago, engineers used to show fundamental mechanical properties of machines, pullies, gears, cams, etc, with models or drawings in an organized alphabet-like form. By manipulating these objects, you could more easlily see how the technologies worked without using words. A few days ago I even put out some feelers to a foundation to see if they might be willing to fund such a project on the internet. Unfortunately, they weren't interested.<p>[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: Gary ]</p>
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

You could also try a wheel with a small cam on it, this would provide the same effect, in fact it's how some rotational devices get their eccentricty.<p>
bodgy
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Toeham, you're on the correct side of the fence on this issue. Mechanics and electronics aside, this project is near the bottom of the moral scrap heap. Our kids have enough crap thrown at them as it is without getting it from the technical end, too.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Granted, using a 5-gallon bucket seems rather low-class, especially as this is a somewhat dubious project.<p>I saw an ad for a book called "105 uses for a 5-gallon bucket", or something to that effect. This is certainly an unusual application for a plastic drywall bucket. ;-)<p>The COOLEST application I've seen for a vibrator mechanism is a type of shaker table that made loose stuff like grain move uphill. It would move a trough-shaped table in such a way that dry materials like food ingredients would move uphill without use of a conveyor. It would move stuff up a smooth incline, say 5 degrees or so. Speed was adjustable for diffeent materials and the mechanism was pretty simple. Could be used instead of conveyor belts and was easy to clean, with few moving parts.
cow_rancher

Post by cow_rancher »

This is a seriously complicated device if you go to the Sybian home page. Took some real engineering :eek: <p>I love the part about supporting 1000#<p> The Sybian:
Weighs 22 pounds with convenient finger grips to carry and move easily.
Is 13.25" Wide, 12.5" Long, 8.5" to top of padded cover and 10" to top overall.
Has a very high quality 1/29th HP - 20:1 ratio Gearmotor that drives the rotation and may be controlled from 0 to 150 RPM
Has the same quality, but a 1/17th HP motor that drives the vibration and this may be controlled from 0 to 6500 RPM. Both the Motor and Gearmotor are made by Bodine Electric Company.
Has both the On/Off switches and the speed control knobs on the end of a 3' cable for your convenience. Rotation and vibration are independently controlled.
Has a detachable 8' power cord that plugs into a fused inlet for your convenience and protection.
Is available in either a 120V or 240V version. We ship around the world.
Uses internal parts of highest quality available that, in general, should never need repair or maintenance. A lifetime of pleasure without problems.
Has a housing that will withstand over 1000# of weight or pressure.
Has a high quality naugahyde cover that can be washed and kept clean with any good cleaning agent.
Uses detachable rubber parts that can be thrown into the sink and washed thoroughly after each use.<p>[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: cow_rancher ]</p>