curve tracer pugin for Tek TM-500

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
rodd

curve tracer pugin for Tek TM-500

Post by rodd »

Hi,
Does anybody know if there is a curve tracer pugin fot the Tektronix TM-500?
I heard that the 5ct1n is compatible.
Thanks
Dean Huster

Re: curve tracer pugin for Tek TM-500

Post by Dean Huster »

No, there is not a "CT501" curve tracer that was made for the TM500-series. And, with the exception of circuit card key slots to prevent swapping the TM500-series and 5000-series plug-ins, those units are MECHANICALLY compatable only. Electrically, the interfaces are in no way compatible. The 5K plug-ins derive all of their power supply requirements from the scope mainframe while the TM500 plug-ins have the power supply regulator control in the plug-in and the raw supply and pass transistors in the power module. That is the "bad" news.<p>The good news is that I have converted a 5CT1N to operate in a TM500 power module. It takes a lot of PCB run cutting and rerouting, the addition of some power supplies and XY buffer/scaling amplifiers and other modifications, including adding a small output connector to the front panel. I used a Lemo connector (the same as used for the temp/voltage probe on a DM501) for my front panel connector.<p>I have the mods sort of documented. I think. Well, maybe I don't really remember. But if you have a 5CT1N and you're really serious about this, let me know and I'll scrape together what I have to give you a jump start on things. Maybe even scan the side where the additional circuit board (perf board) I made is located. As I sit here writing this, I'm looking at the modified unit installed in my TM503. It looks very handsome there and ain't nuthin' about it that doens't look Tek.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
rodd

Post by rodd »

Dear Dean,
Yes, I am really serious about it, but I am still waiting for a 5CT1N to show up at Ebay.
Meanwhile I could buy a schematics of it and study your modifications, if you could send me a copy of what you have done.
Thank you a lot for always answering my questions.
Regards,
Rogerio
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Rogerio, click on the "Profiles" (left-hand "Rolodex card" above) to get my e-mail address and send me your snail-mail address and I'll send stuff off to you. I'll do my best to go over it all and flesh it out a little better. This was something that I'd been working on anyway off and on (more off than on) to produce as a published project, so any work I put into it won't go to waste anyway.<p>I was maybe a bit hasty to say that there is no curve tracer for the TM500-series. Tektronix never made one, but there have been some "third-party" manufacturers that have made TM500-compatible plug-ins, although who they were and what they made escapes me now. So, it may be that there was a curve tracer produced for the series. Certainly, a curve tracer that was a double-wide unit that accessed the high-power compartment of a TM504 or TM506 would be interesting. Having a built-in display would make it prohibitively expensive when new.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.