Google Mapping and the Moon

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jollyrgr

Google Mapping and the Moon

Post by jollyrgr »

I did not realize how close the moon landings were to each other until today. I had thought they were all over the moon, not in one small area. GOOGLE, the company that just bought the moon in a $5.6 Trillion dollar deal earlier this month, released images of the moon landing sites.<p>They expect to have lunar vacations operational in 2011, if not sooner. For now they have released images from Hubble and moon orbiting satellites showing the lunar landing sites. The landers can be viewed here:<p>http://moon.google.com
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
rstofer

Re: Google Mapping and the Moon

Post by rstofer »

Did you zoom way in? Very interesting!
jwax

Post by jwax »

Google is out of this world! :D
WA2RBA
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Did you zoom way in? Very interesting! <hr></blockquote><p>Glad I'm a Cheddar Head!
"Who is John Galt?"
Gary

Post by Gary »

I thought it was made of GREEN cheese...
philba

Post by philba »

what!!! you've never seen wallace and gromit's A Grand Day Out? Stilton!
jwax

Post by jwax »

Too many Nuts, not enough Volts! :)
WA2RBA
Mike

Post by Mike »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jolly Roger:

They expect to have lunar vacations operational in 2011, if not sooner.
<hr></blockquote><p>Wait, am I reading this correctly?
peter-f

Post by peter-f »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by rstofer:
Did you zoom way in? Very interesting!<hr></blockquote><p>[Very Funny! I guess there's a limit to photo details!]<p>National Geographic produced a globe (circa 1968) with unmanned landing sites indicated... and most (not all) of the far side reproduced... the far side had been photographed by a Russian craft prior to moon landings... but the photos available were from Ranger 4 and Lunar Orbiter 1.<p>The manned sites are FAR apart - across the face of the moon near the equator...
The Apollo sites: The first 3 range from 20deg East to 20deg West. <p>Get some perspective on this Map - it is good... but it loops around! You see near AND far sides on 1 chart. <p>[Just place that circular formation (Oriental Sea) that is 20% from the left edge all the way left... it shows up again on the right! And the landing sites will be relabelled if you over-rotate your viewing position.]<p>BTW: The Oriental Sea is barely visible on the Moon (at the left) from our vantage point.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mike:
<p> quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jolly Roger:<p> They expect to have lunar vacations operational in 2011, if not sooner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<p>
Wait, am I reading this correctly?
<hr></blockquote><p>You read it correctly. Google is in the process of preparing the project now. It appears that they removed the vacation information (at least I cannot find it right now) but they are preparing the moon base plans now. It will use engineers and research facilities in the United States, India, and Switzerland. The project is called Google Copernicus Hosting Environment and Experiment in Search Engineering. You can read about it here:
http://www.google.com/jobs/lunar_job.html
They are taking applications as we speak. I lack the one condition they request to be on the moon based complex; top physical condition. They did suggest that I might be considered for the simulator here on earth if I don't mind relocating to California. I didn't think it would be likely that I would be picked as one of the 35 engineers but I tried. I'm seriously considering relocating to California if they make a firm offer.<p>Currently I am BETA testing their new computer hardware and Luna/X operating system. The claim is that unlike Windows and Linux that require a periodic reboot when things go wrong, Luna/X is in a continuously "fresh" mode. This means no down time. The OS is not meant to be a GUI user friendly toy like Windows. This operating system is meant to crunch numbers and sort lists. This is what Google needs to be able to keep up with the huge number of searches Internet users will hit their search pages in less than five years. The non-disclosure agreement prevents me from going into details about how the H.I. works or what the exact parameters are. I can tell it exists (they even posted this on their link above so I'm not disclosing anything unusual). I can tell you some of the things in a round about way. Ever use WordPerfect 5.0 (DOS) on a 8088 or AT machine? Then did you ever load it on a Pentium class computer running Windows 9x? Notice the speed difference? Now take a 65,000 item list and do a sort in Excel on a AMD 64 2.5GHz Windows XP PC. Do this same sort in Luna/X. The speed difference between XP and Luna/X is like comparing WordPefect setups.<p>The computer hardware is quite interesting. I've seen some things that have been "potted" before but this takes the cake! It appears that this thing is all black potting material except for the label and the connectors. There are five connections on this black box. (It is literally a black box about the size of a large college text book.) There is a label with a REWARD return to GOOGLE and what not on it. The five connectors accept a USB keyboard and a USB mouse, a standard Ethernet connector, a standard SVGA monitor, and a coax power jack. They requested that I try and run the computer all the time with a solar panel that plugs into the coax connector. They also included an AC power supply that can be used. I have not yet taken the twist ties off the AC power supply as it runs fine and recharges easily using just a solar panel that sits on the window sill of my computer room.<p>The Google facility on the moon will host 35 engineers and 27,000 web servers. These web servers will be powered by solar energy. Be sure to read ALL of the pages (click NEXT at the bottom of each page from the link above). If you think you have what it takes then apply for a position! Follow the link above to the very end of the session. If can't do that, apply here:
http://www.google.com/jobs/lunar_apply.html<p>[ July 27, 2005: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]</p>
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!