WHITISH COATING ON HANDLES OF NUT DRIVERS IN STORAGE?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
spindown

Post by spindown »

I stored some nut drivers in the basement(dry storage) and about a year later found they had a whitish coating on the handles. What causes this and is there a way of preventing it from happening? Thanks Paul
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

I can't answer your question but I can tell you that a number of my plastic handle screwdrivers kept stored in a metal toolbox also developed a whitish coating. I figured it must have something to do with humidity.
"if it's not another it's one thing."
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

I have experienced this many times and still can't figure out what the exact cause is. In most instances this will occur in a cabinet or drawer that has many tools or objects of similar materialsl and finishes. And yet only one item gets singled out for this strange white powder coating. Only one case in particular was I able to nail it down and that would be freshly painted interiors of those storage areas (usually white enamel). It tactually takes paint a full month in open air (indoors) to fully cure and storage any time prior to that seems to cause that problem. Usually takes several months of storage to produce it. I just give those items a quick shot of WD-40, wipe clean and restore and does not seem to reappear.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Were there any NiCad batteries stored in the same vicinity? NiCads in storage near metal objects, especially wet cell NiCads, will cause this white coating. In order for the sealed NiCads to cause this they must be leaking a bit. As NiCads age, there is always a little leaking around the seals.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

sounds like some sort of oxidation, i get this in my shop also , especially on connectors, like RCA plugs for my tv or stereo..

now a friend of mine used to have a ultrasonic vaporizer, and it would leave a white powdery residue in the house, but i think that was the calcium in the water being deposited.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

If they're plastic handles, its probably either the plasticizer leaching out of the bulk plastic or its being etched by solvent fumes. I'm pretty sure they use a thermoplastic and that would have additives beyond just the polymer.

From "how its made" you can see they machine the handles from long rod stock (extruded material) and at the end, dip them in acetone to make the surface glossy again.

Other manufacturers may mold the handles directly onto the shafts as well.

I agree the ultrasonic vaporizer does not distill the water, any dissolved minerals will be atomized as well and be deposited on surfaces as the carrier water drops evaporate. I would guess it would snow down like dust.

Although plastics can oxidize, it usually does not result in a distinguishable surface residue, it usually results in a change of bulk properties like becoming more brittle or yellowing.
spindown

Post by spindown »

My nut drivers have been in a metal cabinet and no nicads in this area. I've notice this whitish coating for at least 10 years. I agree does not
seem to effect the handles. Thanks. Paul