Leakage using SSR old topic but still need help

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jgrade

Post by jgrade »

I decided to buy this relay and installed them as per the schematic above. I have a problem with leakage. I am reading about 80V on the load even when the relay is not energized. I forgot to check the amperage but it must be below the threshold for my chemical pump. I get a pulse on the pump, but the voltage/amps are not enough to make the pump completely fire.

Is there a way to stop the leakage and why is this happening? Th grounding on this circuit is a bit sketchy. Most of the work was done about 40 years ago and trying to pull a ground is next to impossible. It appears that the box I mounted the relays in is grounded but I won't vouch for how good it is or even if it is continuous.
sghioto

Post by sghioto »

"Characteristics" on page 3 give the leakage current.
"Operation" on page 11 talks about leakage current which is normal.

Steve G.
jgrade

Re: Connecting realy to 240VAC line for 120VAC use

Post by jgrade »

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I am still running into the leakage issue and wondering if anyone has a suggestion.

In an installation yesterday I connected 6 Omron G3NA-210B 200~240VAC relays (optocoupler) with a 115VAC load just like the schematic on the first page. When checking for voltage on the load side without any input I get a measurement of 40-80V fluctuating high then low etc. I don't have a way to check amps but it was enough to make one of the older chemical pumps partially "fire" (these pumps are basically solenoids). Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to stop this from happening. From what I have read the SSR does have a snubber but I guess it's not enough.