Air Purifier/Ionizer Plans

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Maheanuu

Air Purifier/Ionizer Plans

Post by Maheanuu »

I am wanting to build a air purifier/ionizer unit to remove pollutants and dust from the air in my office and home. I have seen the units advertised on TV and in the stores, but would prefer building my own.. I would like to know if there are any kits or plans available out there?
Any help from this illustrious group would be greatly appreciated
josmith

Re: Air Purifier/Ionizer Plans

Post by josmith »

I owned an "ionic breeze". It didn't work very well when it worked. It failed completely shortly after the warrantee was up.

If you want to build one as a project have fun. If you want to clean the air get a filter.
HomeBrew

Re: Air Purifier/Ionizer Plans

Post by HomeBrew »

We played with those things years ago(70's)but ours were not designed just for cleaning the air. When we built them the idea was a fan with no moving parts. When built correctly, they really pushed quiet a bit of air but had one bad side effect. The HV produced a lot of Ozone. In large rooms it was not very noticable,but when confined it became rather intense. As you may or may not know, Ozone is toxic in large doses, so if you do build one of these air cleaners.....use care !