P87LPC764FN question

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Ken1

P87LPC764FN question

Post by Ken1 »

Hi, Can anyone tell me what function a P87LPC764FN chip would be performing in an ATV CDI ignition module?
Bigglez

Re: P87LPC764FN question

Post by Bigglez »

Ken1 wrote:Hi, Can anyone tell me what function a P87LPC764FN chip would be performing in an ATV CDI ignition module?
Could be anything! That is a NXP (Philips) microcontroller
based on the famous 8051 core.

The part is OTP (one Time Programmed) and probably
is used to change the ingition timing or other engine
controls to operate the engine.

I don't think you will get very far in learning more,
the chip may have a mechanism to prevent snooping
of the internal code.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Ken1 wrote:Hi, Can anyone tell me what function a P87LPC764FN chip would be performing in an ATV CDI ignition module?
How many pins? Is it a DIP package with 0.10 pin spacing? I may be all wet but the part number sounds like a logic family type "87" Low Power Cmos with a 764 function in an "FN" DIP package.
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

Bob Scott wrote:How many pins? Is it a DIP package with 0.10 pin spacing? \
Manufacturer:.NXP Semiconductors
Manufacturer Part Number:...P87LPC764FN
Description:....IC 80C51 MCU 4K OTP
20 Pin DIP Datasheet
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

This chip has the Philips logo on it. There are a couple more numbers on it: CE6476 04 and below it: TnG0529F. The package is a standard 20 pin dip with .010" spacing.
philba

Post by philba »

NXP == Philips. They spun off the semi branch.

Let's hear some details on the the package and so on. I think bigglez right but it couldn't hurt to try to snoop the contents.

My guess is it is the brains and generates all the timing info.

What were you hoping to do with this?

Phil
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

This topic is in follow up to my ATV ignition question that I posted back on Sept. 14 http://forum.servomagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=8410
I managed to pick out and remove all the silicone potting compound that the CDI ignition module was buried in in an attempt to fix it. I succeeded in that the only damage I caused was a broken 1/4 watt resistor and a 1N4148 diode. The module is made up entirely of generic components except for this IC. I am just curious as to why they had to get so sophisticated for a CDI ignition that's why I posted the question about the chip. As for the module, it appears that the reason it failed is because of several poor solder connections. I have not confirmed whether anything else is at fault yet as I havent tested any of the usual suspect components yet or tried the module on the ATV yet. I will get this done in a day or 2 and let you guys know how I made out.
philba

Post by philba »

The reason for a microcontroller is that it is very easy to generate arbitrary timings with one.
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

Just finished testing all the discrete components and they all check out good. Now to do the resoldering and hopefully tomorrow try it out and see if it works.
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

I just tried the module on my atv and it works perfectly! Now if my new one goes out (from the same poor soldering) I won't have to lay out another $160. + taxes and shipping!