SMT magnification suggestions

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
psycho

SMT magnification suggestions

Post by psycho »

I am looking at getting a better magnifier for doing smt. Right now I use a regular magnifying glass which is getting to be a real pain. When doing SMT, what magnification do you all use? Originally I thought I would need 10x but I think 3-5x would work.

Any suggestions from someone who knows more than me (which is just about everyone)???

Kevin
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

I use a mag-lamp of 3X power. Initially I was worried that it would not be high enough, but it has worked out satisfactorally. I think if it is too strong, it is harder on your eyes for long term work. For those occasional times that I need very close inspection, I keep a high powered hand held magnifier close at hand though. I guess to some extent it depends on your eyesight.
Bigglez

Re: SMT magnification suggestions

Post by Bigglez »

psycho wrote:I am looking at getting a better magnifier for doing smt. Right now I use a regular magnifying glass which is getting to be a real pain. When doing SMT, what magnification do you all use? Originally I thought I would need 10x but I think 3-5x would work.
I use a 10x eye loupe (as you may find a watchmaker using).
This requires that you remove your regular (or safety)
glasses and is not ideal, but it does free up both hands!

My optometrist half joking said I should befriend a
heart surgeon that's ready to retire and get their spiffy
telephoto binocular eyewear.

I recently did some work for a company in micro-
electronic assembly and we had rows of boom binocular
zoom microscopes
with ring lights. Very kewl!

You need the boom variety (not the biology version)
to access PCBs larger than a few inches square.

These show up on eBay from time to time as
"Inspection microscopes". Good ones with ring light
run about $1k, so I haven't got further than drooling
over one for my tech bench at home. Beware of the
China knock offs for half that price.

A trinocular 'scope can be fitted with a CMOS USB camera
making reports or posting images a snap.
philba

Post by philba »

There are two separate issues to consider: magnification and lighting. I think a lot of people focus on the first one but ignore the second. The fact is that good lighting by itself can go a long way.

I have just about one of everything - several loups, mag lamp, visor and a nice 4-40X zoom stereo boom mounted microscope (olympus). I picked up the scope at an auction for around 200. Pretty much of a steal...

Frankly, I use nothing other than good lighting most of the time. I do use the scope some and the mag lamp a fair amount. The visor is ok but the mag lamp is much better. A little magnification and a lot of lighting works wonders.
psycho

Post by psycho »

I am looking at getting a illuminated magnifier. Most of these are only 1.25x or so. My budget is < $100 which is a big problem for finding a 3x one (any ideas of where to look?).

I think I will also get a 10 loupe, too, as bigglez suggested.

Kevin
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

psycho wrote:I am looking at getting a illuminated magnifier. Most of these are only 1.25x or so. My budget is < $100 which is a big problem for finding a 3x one (any ideas of where to look?).
Kevin
I found a solution at the local drug store. They have cheap reading glasses in various diopter magnifications from 1 to 3.5, and they cost about $10/pair. I bought one pair of each magnification. This way you only have to add a nice fluorescent lamp, and you have stereo magnification ( 3D, both eyes).
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

psycho wrote:I am looking at getting a illuminated magnifier. Most of these are only 1.25x or so. My budget is < $100 which is a big problem for finding a 3x one (any ideas of where to look?).

Kevin
I Have seen no difference in price between the 3X and 5X mag lamps when I purchased one several years ago. I paid $60 dollars for mine at the time. Probably made in china at that price (isn't everything) never bothered to look. It has worked out OK though. This one uses a circular flourescent bulb and make sure you buy the same. Hovering over the incandescant type on a warm spring evening is pure torture. If you have trouble locating one in your price range, give me a jingle and i will try to line you up. This one came from a woodworkers supply house of all places. I also have a 10X loupe in my arsenal of weapons for better inspection, but I find it very uncomfortable to use for very long.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hello.

I implemented at my work place, on all the technicians' benches a contraption that made everyone happy, really happy.

Used those desk lamps with a 4" magnifier, perhaps you may know which ones am talking about, have 2 hinged sections, spring loaded, about 14" each section, installs biting the edge of the bench and can be moved and reaches all over the bench. Well, those 'arms' with removed lens and lamp, I installed a "lipstick" color video camera with a 16mm ? lens instead.

A NTSC to VGA converter gadget, and gave a brutal magnification, a penny image filled a 17" monitor screen. :shock:
connected to he same monitor used for the automated testing, there was no need to add any other. The converter had a built-in selector to display the compfuser or the camera.
Soldering and rework done by looking at the monitor on the bench, directly behind the unit under surgery. The best feature is the 5 inches distance from that type of camera lens to the objective, allows enough clearance for tools and fingers.

A beautiful RollsRoyce tool, that may be of interest for some of you.

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
psycho

Post by psycho »

Actually a USB microscope was the first thing I looked at. I have heard that they did not work well for doing electronics. I also wondered about lag (if any). But, obviously, the one you have works well. Which model is it? I have seen a boatload of different ones on ebay.

Kevin
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

Externet wrote:I implemented at my work place, on all the technicians' benches a contraption that made everyone happy, really happy.
Can you post a picture of this system?
Externet wrote:Well, those 'arms' with removed lens and lamp, I installed a "lipstick" color video camera with a 16mm ? lens instead.
Only one camera? So the image is monocular?
I found the eye loupe compared to the stereo microscope
to require re-learning as there is no depth perception.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi psycho.

There is no 'model' for it; I gathered the parts that worked together to match the task / budget and give the best possible results. The camera and lens I bought at Polaris.com, the NTSC to VGA converter is a generic "TVbox" available in many places. If you mean the part numbers of components, I will be back with them.

Almost any camera works, the key is the lens capable of focusing at 5" and the field of view.
I would try the USB IF there is at least 5" clearance from lens to objective; you want to see the action as happens. Some cameras do not work well if there is too much light. Call the vendor and ask if a penny at 5" away image occupies the full screen. That is good enough magnification. What I do not like from the USB is you need a compfuser on.
The converter box just uses the monitor.

Bigglez, I will be back with pictures when I can.

Miguel
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hey Bigglez; give me a email address where to send the pictures for the video microscope...
Miguel