Building a...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
keymaker

Re: Building a...

Post by keymaker »

I have another idea, How can I make it randomly vary its speed like those vibrating chairs?? <p>
WOW I HAD A BRAINSTORM, DIG THIS: It could intensify by sensing sound.. The louder she moans, the harder it vibrates<p>How do I do that?<p>GOOD IDEA HUH!
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

That would be safer!<p>Also a suitably rated fuse wouldn't go amiss.
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Code named the "Rock polishing machine"!?!<p>The web site is quite a trip. Although, this is not a wall wart type of application.<p>Apparently the Mars (my term) version is 22 pounds, is 115 volt AC, has a 6.3 amp fuse, and a 1/17 HP motor. Apparently the machine can be noisey at times. It apparently was used in a Seymore Butts movie. The web site mentions it is pattented also.<p>The Venus version is black colored and completely unmarked according to the web site. It is 11 pounds, has a 1/16 horsepower motor, a 4' pneumatic connection.<p>A lot of questionable-type electronics use battery power as a way to get around safety questions and avoid UL listings. They might then have a aux. input jack for a wall wart power supply. Even the original Apple computer used a similar process and used an exterior power supply to avoid a lengthly safety approval process that some of its competitors failed. You see this system in cheap chinese gadgets like inshell egg scramblers, tiny TV's etc. Because the Venus/Mars units use ratings in HORSEPOWER, this system won't work.<p>Interesting topic however....<p>BTW, the term is eccentric flywheel, not "egocentric". The device could be as simple as a small solid cylinder of steel or lead mounted to the shaft off-center. Something that doesn't cause too much air resistance. Sometimes the motor or device can be mounted on some kind of spring device so that most the force is exerted in certain directions only. (not in the direction of the spring). There are super-small 1/4" diameter motors used in pagers that vibrate (and are sometimes used for miniture robotics as mentioned in N&V).<p>[ May 05, 2002: Message edited by: Gary ]</p>
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary:
Code named the "Rock polishing machine"!?!<p>BTW, the term is eccentric flywheel, not "egocentric".
[ May 05, 2002: Message edited by: Gary ]
<hr></blockquote><p>Your right of course must have been revolving around my own little world when I typed that! :p <p>bodgy
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Forget rechargable batteries and small DC motors... Go for the big times! Get yourself a small gas engine like the ones from RC planes, or better yet... a weed wacker! No electrocution problems, and if you throw in a transmission with a shift knob and an overdrive gear....!
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

Forget rechargable batteries and small DC motors... Go for the big times! Get yourself a small gas engine like the ones from RC planes, or better yet... a weed wacker! No electrocution problems, and if you throw in a transmission with a shift knob and an overdrive gear....!
----------------------<p>
HA!<p>Very funny<p>I really don't know how to build one yet but I am trying..<p>But I think I will stick to electric motors :D
bobsRAC

Post by bobsRAC »

You might take a moment to turn over a few electrical devices and look for the UL symbol. You will find that every device you look at will have this symbol on it somewhere. The symbol means that it has been inspected and approved as a safe electrical device. The risk associated with not having a device inspected and approved may be greater than the profit you stand to gain by "throwing together" an unsafe device. You can face criminal and civil charges in the event that someone is hurt or killed.