ATV ignition system

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Ken1

ATV ignition system

Post by Ken1 »

Hi, Can anyone tell me how complicated an ignition module for my atv is electronically and is it possible for a person to build his own. My atv is just over a year old and just off warranty and the ignition failed in it. All tests seem to point to the module being defective. See picture for schematic.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

sorry but schematic is too small for us to read, but its probably cheaper to get a new modual than to build your own..

this looks to be one of them china made ATV's is it ?
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

Anyone else having trouble seeing the schematic? It shows up good on my computer when I download it.
This atv is was made in China and after having several friends and neighbours having bad experiences with made in China electronics I thought it might be worth a try building my own rather than buying potentially another poorly constructed module.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

downloading the schematic here, when i see it, many lines are missing, i cannot make out whats what,, looks more like a wireing diagram than a modual schematic,,

if you can include the model number make etc..
i know of a few sites that carry china parts for electric and gas scooters.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Have you guys clicked on the pictured when it is in IE (if that is your
browser) or possibly hovered over the lower left corner to bring up the
expand button? I double clicked on it when it came up and all was visible.
Looks like #3 and #4 are the main items of interest. Could be either,
though I would check #3 first to see if there is actually power available,
as those are more prone to failure than the magnetor.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

Hi, As Ceasar mentioned, you need to click on the picture after it downloads to expand it and it will come up large and clear.
The ignition module is the unnumbered square directly below #4 the magnetor. I have 12 volts coming in on the R/W wire, the B wire is grounded properly, I connected a dmm to the R/E and the G/W wires and was getting a pulsed voltage of several tenths of a volt when I cranked the starter, however there is no output on the O wire that feeds the coil (#7). Both windings of the ignition coil have continuity. The magnetor also has continuity.
The model # of the atv is a Jianshe JS400.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

hi, i am looking at this site.. not sure what your part is called. perhaps you can find it on this site..

http://jianshe.com.au/parts-catalogue#assemblies

heres a forum on your Quad..
http://atvfrontier.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=29910.html

and heres pleanty to find in a google search..
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Ji ... 0&aq=f&oq=

good luck..where did you buy this at anyway ? PEP BOYS ? or some small dealer ?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

From the links provided by dacflyer, you have CDI ignition on your ATV.
A quick search shows up this on Wikipedia. At the bottom is a link to a
schematic for a CDI ignition system. There are also many different
replacement units for sale. Years ago I bought an electronic system for
my Briggs and Stratton engine that ran great for years, but it didn't need
any battery power. I'd look around and see if you can find a replacement
(check Yamaha - from the forum provided by dacflyer) unless you can fab
a replacement to fit the area on your machine. Also, check MSD ignition
systems, they made CDI famous.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Edd

Post by Edd »

Soooooo, are you guilty of bopping down the freeway in an “ Electric Applianceâ€
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

After making a few phone calls, I found a distributor that stocks them, so I ordered one. It should be here today. Price $160 + taxes and shipping. The dealer I bought this atv from is a mom and pop operation and they no longer sell this brand.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i figgured as such.. i haven't seen any of these china made brands ever last here, nor stay around for very long either.. $160.00 owch !
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I can read the schematic but it is just a wiring diagram. This module must be item 8 or 3 on the diagram. In any case, buying the replacement makes sense but there are a whole bunch of sensors, switches and relays that can be checked if that dosen't do the trick. I bet the module is potted in plastic making any repair effort unlikely.

Checking the inputs of new module with a DMM (ohms and diode check mode) and comparing to the old may help you confirm the failure and make a guess what happened (if you know which pin failed, its a good lead). A shorted or partial short or open pin is a dead giveaway.
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

I received the new CDI module yesterday. Shipping was slow as molasses in January. I installed it and the ATV works perfectly; in fact it runs better now than it did before. I assume some component must have been failing for a while and that also explains why the ATV stalled for me and would not restart a week before it quit completely. When I checked the spark plug at that time, it was completely fouled with carbon. Anyway, this winter I will take the defective module apart. It is potted in a rubbery compound inside a plastic box so I should stand a reasonable chance of digging it out. I will keep you informed on how I make out.