Digital television broadcasting frequencies ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

Digital television broadcasting frequencies ?

Post by Externet »

Hello all
Anyone knows how will the aired RF spectrum look like next year ?

(MHz) --- 30 to 50 stays ? 50 to 88 gone, 88 to 108 stays; 108 to 174 stays, 174 to 220... 220 to 470.... 470 to 900 .... 900+...

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/spectrum/

Try here

or www.fcc.gov and search on "spectrum"
Externet

Post by Externet »

Thanks.
Got lost in space at the FCC site. Mostly found current conditions and channelizing talk; no DTV frequencies.

In other sites, shows the digital channels occupying the same frequencies; other places say there is deletion of some channels and shifting of others, and also somewhere else mentions the freed frequencies will be auctioned for different uses.

Will the new aired digital channel numbering start with 2 .... to 69?
And channel 2 will be at the same 52 MHz or somewhere else; and the freed spectrum will be where ?

Is this for real or a mistake titled page :
http://www.interfacebus.com/digital-fre ... nnels.html

Will European digital standards stay different from USA now as has been with analog TV+PAL ? Or by transmitting digital all the world will be compatible ?
This time I goofed well with the search engines. Could not find the answers.
Even looking for ATSC tuner specifications : strike 3.

Some interesting finding is Canada is not doing the same change, at least yet.

Miguel :cry:
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

since on the subject of digital tv over the air..
how will reception be ? will is vary like analog signal..
( stand on one foot, tilt head to left to get a good signal ) or will the signal break up like digital satalite ? ( pixilate etc ) or will signal be much better and stronger, instead of a fuzzy picture, you get almost cable like quality ?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

dacflyer wrote:since on the subject of digital tv over the air..
how will reception be ? will is vary like analog signal..
( stand on one foot, tilt head to left to get a good signal ) or will the signal break up like digital satalite ? ( pixilate etc ) or will signal be much better and stronger, instead of a fuzzy picture, you get almost cable like quality ?
Well I've got both Satellite, and Over Air Digital TV.

And yes, the picture is better. No weak, or fuzzy picture.
But with the Over Air Digital TV.
You get a lot of pixelation, no picture, picture breaks up, picture freezes, or loss of sound.
Reception is the big problem with Over Air Digital TV.
The signals are not as strong as the old analog signals.
So pretty much any thing can effect it.
Storms.
Air Planes.
Tall Buildings.
Trees.
Traffic on the road outside.
Wind blowing.

The Satellite is better, in that it seems to be effected mainly by just heavy rain storms.

In my opinion......
The FCC was pressured into the change, before the Over Air Digital TV technology was ready.

Signed: Janitor Tzap

P.S.
Since were talking about Over Air Digital TV.
Has anyone seen, or used the new "Smart Antenna's".
I have been looking around for them locally, but have come up with zilch. :(
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

never heard of the "smart antenne" yet.

sounds like digital tv is not so good as they claim..

i had a friend have a problem with satalite dropping out a lot, we solved that problem by mounting the LNB on a larger dish. went from 18" dist to a 3 ft dish..works wayyyy better. not effected by stormes any more.
come to think of it,, i never lost signal when had c-band dish.
it was 8' wide.
philba

Post by philba »

Interesting. What I see is either you get the signal or you don't. when you get it - it's perfect. The problem is that the digital footprint is much smaller than the analog one. So unless you are pretty close to the transmitters, expect to get fewer channels. You probably want to invest in an in-line amplifier. Good luck.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Extranet,

Sounds like you're looking for a pretty high level summary. Rather than going to Google University myself, I'll suggest how I might search that topic.

First I would look at trade magazines that cater to the DTV, RF, GPS, Broadcast, any Radio or government policy magazine and look for columns on the subjects you want to know about. You may have to search back a few issues to find a summary that fits your criteria but don't bother wirth over 1 year as the subject will be out of date. GPS world has something similar directed at GPS spectrum for example. The HDTV websites have other summaries and white papers.

Next I might google on "HDTV Chipsets" where I could learn about the latest releases by the semiconductor companies for the set top and HDTV manufacturers. These press releases, application notes, data sheets etc will boast about the latest advances in memory archetecture, error correction, front end signal processing etc. From that you can learn the direction of the industry at the cutting edge and estimate where it is headed and when these advances will hit the market.

For example faster video memory and better processors can compensate for lost data better. Similar to how CD players went from easy to skip to 1bit deep memory converters which can take a couple seconds of noise and piece it back together.

Most of the advances advertised for HDTVs are in the display WRT its brightness, color spectrum, refresh rate etc but there are improvements in the tuners which should result in improved reception and signal lock for some people in the future. This should also result in lower prices.

Its like the early days of TV, remember all those new tuner designs (mechanical dial then 13 channel analog button then veractor then PLL etc). Give them some time to catch up to the market. Unfortunately (and fortunately) the HDTV changeover is coming during a semiconductor industry slump.

Don't miss the to do about "white space" the frequencies between the HDTV channels which are coveted by several groups. This was no mans land with NTSC and required to keep the noise down but with digital, some people think it should be possible but big technical hurdles must be met first to guarantee no interference with broadcast stations. If approved and implemented, we could face a wave of new interference sources while watching OTA DTV from our portable devices.
ecerfoglio

Re: Digital television broadcasting frequencies ?

Post by ecerfoglio »

Externet wrote:Hello all
Anyone knows how will the aired RF spectrum look like next year ?

(MHz) --- 30 to 50 stays ? 50 to 88 gone, 88 to 108 stays; 108 to 174 stays, 174 to 220... 220 to 470.... 470 to 900 .... 900+...

Miguel
Isn't 88 - 108 MHz the FM Radio broadcast band?
E. Cerfoglio
Buenos Aires
Argentina
Externet

Post by Externet »

Yes, the FM 3 metre band stays as is. If FM goes full digital will occupy the same band.
Miguel
ecerfoglio

Post by ecerfoglio »

Externet wrote:Yes, the FM 3 metre band stays as is. If FM goes full digital will occupy the same band.
Miguel
Thank you.
E. Cerfoglio
Buenos Aires
Argentina