finding hook up wire is difficult ~

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

finding hook up wire is difficult ~

Post by dacflyer »

boy, i never knew getting hook up wire was such a challance, you cannot just say you want 16Ga stranded wire now days, i been looking at newark and the search criteria is mind boggling..lol

if you want 16Ga. stranded you have to know how many strands and what Ga. each strand is.. :O

well what i'd like to know, is there a way to know a wire Ga. size using a caliper with mm. / in." ratings? so that i can compare it with some samples i have in my junk box.
thanks
gerty

Post by gerty »

Print out the chart on this page : http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Wire-Gauge_Ampacity
It shows wire size(mm/in) and current capabilities..
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

The only time I use stranded wire is in automotive applications or where the wire is expected to endure some flexing, such as removing a hard-wired PCB.

My wire is typically #22 or #24, obtained from multiline telephone cable, something that you see less and less of these days. I was fortunate to be on the receiving end of a "deinstallation" when stationed at Hanza, Okinawa, and ended up carting off a 100-foot length of cable: 50 individually-shielded pairs, inside each of the 50 shields two insulated #22 solid, tinned wires and a drain wire. Lots and lots of tinned braid and every one of the standard EIA colors could be hand in the wire. I'm still using from that cable.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ya, i have done that also. i have a NEMA comm cable, that i use scraps off of, i have about a 25 ft length.
but for my application i am needing some stranded.
thanks.
BTW i think i found what i need at newark, Phuu that stuff is kinda pricy.
especially if you buy 9-10 100ft rolls ( one of each color )
Bear

Post by Bear »

Dacflyer: A good Belden or Alpha distributor would have the wire you are looking for. I do not know what big city you are close to, but I'm sure they would have a list of distributors in your vicinity on their web site.
Any wire with a MIL-W16878 or MIL-W16878B would be good enough for any number of projects. MIL-W16878 is PVC coated wire and the "B" has a nylon overwrap on the PVC for abrasion resistance. The higher the stranding count the more flexible the wire will be.
Hope this helps.

Dennis