Requoting question from Aug 2008 N.V. (#8082)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
sherab

Requoting question from Aug 2008 N.V. (#8082)

Post by sherab »

I saw an interesting question in the latest NV (Aug 2008, pg. 94) and was wondering if anyone has updated it (I can't find it in the search). The question is below...
------------------------------------
I need info on refurbishing or building custom solar yard lights. I currently have a Lighthouse lawn ornament that has a solar light that doesn't recharge the replaceable rechargeable battery. Information on troubleshooting would be helpful for what I assume to be a fairly common circuit. I would also like to illuminate the lantern of a Lawn Jockey and a Pagoda. Adding multiple LEDs with changing colors and blinking patterns could also be a take off. Anyone have a circuit?
------------------------------------
Julian
VernGraner

Re: Requoting question from Aug 2008 N.V. (#8082)

Post by VernGraner »

sherab wrote:I need info on refurbishing or building custom solar yard lights.
Start with the theory of operation here:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/solar-light.htm

Then move on to an "autopsy" of an LED garden light (including schematic) here:

http://home.comcast.net/~botronics/light.html

Top it off with some surplus replacement Solar Panels w/LEDs for $3.00 each (if you want to roll-your-own garden light):

allelectronics.com

Hope that helps :)

Vern
--
Vern Graner
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Resolder all the connections. The circuit boards get wet, corrode, and stop working correctly. On some of these the circuit board is smaller than a stamp and use SMT devices. Those with one AA battery use an oscillator circuit to convert the 1.2V DC from the NiCad into 3.5V DC.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!